Thinking of buying an L200 with 160k on it....advice please?

Big JAY

I have a 2003 with 160k on it and it's been brilliant. I realise that they are different to the later models.

The way I see it is if they have got to that sort of milage they are past the talked about issues (head gasket etc).

If it's at the right price and you are prepared for the other issues that come with high milage then give it a go.

Edd

Hi all, im just after a bit of advice as i know sod all about engines. Ive got my eye on a Mitsubishi L200 ( 2009 reg) but its got 168k on the clock. its had a full engine rebuild.....would you go near it or stay away from it?

If it's really cheap then fine and if you are good with spanners. It's the niggly buts like bushes and shocks etc that you will find need replacing. That said all parts are pretty cheap from milners, but on an 09 plate with those miles I wouldn't be paying over 3k for it as at a guess mine on 95k is probably worth 6k

What a load of tosh. They do that annually in some countries and if serviced and cared for a modern Mitzy will still be a good buy.

Just got my 04 back from M.O.T, changed it,s fuel tank,no welding,2 bits of brake pipe & a ball joint, love it,the wife hates it,quote " That,s not a car, it,s a bloody lorry!"

What a load of tosh. They do that annually in some countries and if serviced and cared for a modern Mitzy will still be a good buy.

They do but when you can buy a 70k mile 07 plate for not much over 5k why would you pay much for one with twice the mileage and then some. I'm on my third so know the foibles, my recent one is the best so far but the values do drop. My last one went for 3k on a trade in that was a 55 plate, before you say I gave it away it needed a new sump as that had rusted through, needed bushes a plenty and a fair bit spending on it. That was at 120k but mine do get used and do a half reasonable mileage. still can't be too bad as I bought another

I would be uneasy about the 'its had a full engine rebuild' part of the story

1) Why? What happened?

2) People don't do a quality rebuild then sell it on, they do just enough

3) Mechanics that can do a proper rebuild are becoming rarer as every year goes by and its a time consuming (ie expensive) business. That doesn't really add up given the age and value of the vehicle

Edited by Vince Green