Better than a day in the office!

GingerCat

Even when you shoot as badly as I did....

So I had a weary day in the office, everyone has them I know. This was slightly more weary than the norm but fortunately a text from JDog asking if I had a few hours spare lightened things up a bit. Having raced home and grabbed my gear we met a few minutes from my house on a new piece of ground that JDog had spotted some pigeons hitting recently laid barley.

J "got more ground to shoot on than the Russian army" Dog explained he had seen two lines, one in the middle of the field that would have been a considerable trek uphill and another on the far side of the field that we could drive to. Being inherently lazy I opted for the latter and we found ourselves on the other side of the field near a thin patch of barley and some that was laid, it would suit out needs adequately.

This was on the side of a hill, 400 metres away (uphill) was a wood that held a fair number of birds, a footpath ran along the base of the wood well out of range. I was set up on the bend in the field giving a line of sight of some 270 degrees or so left and right JDog was 30 yards to my left. The birds should come from my right, JDogs left and maybe a few from behind. Within a mile must be 5 other woods all holding a good number of birds.

We set up quickly and placed the rotary 10 yards in front. a few minutes passed and the first customer arrived, she came in from the left, hung in the air almost stationary some 20 yards out and maybe the same high. I shouldered the gun. Squeezed the trigger and missed. Twice.

Now I've got a ready made list of excuses for this, I had a new cap, the cartridges were different (and clearly somewhat slower), I was using the OU and not the Semi, the grass was a bit too green and I noticed the clouds weren't quite as fluffy as I like when shooting my best. Mostly however it was me. Somehow almost every shot I was behind.

Make no mistake though; these birds we not easy. Those that came from the wood to the right would come in at a rate of knots, closing their wings some 80 yards or so high causing them to drop like stones, jinking into the rotary and finally flare as they got within range. Shooting uphill with that very green grass putting me off and trying not to fall over made things a little sporting. As sporting as any bird can be I would say.

I hit a few and JDog did better hitting a couple of crackers, one in particular that came in high and went behind, JDog span round and nailed it some 50 yards out. Well shot indeed.

We shot for a couple of hours until time caught up with us and we called it a day resolving to watch the field a little longer next time and probably set up right in the middle of the field amongst the bulk of the laid barley, this was no fault of anyone, "The Dog" had acquired the permission about 20 minutes before my arrival having intended to shoot some beet a short distance away.

Despite my poor shooting it was better than any day in the office.

Sounds all too familiar and still I'm jealous. We are in the process of moving our VW garage workshop business and this time of year we are really busy, so my shooting is on the back burner. To add insult to injury, the gardens outside are getting hit by the towny pigeons and my flat is on a perfect flight line from Kent and the Thames estuary, to various woods around the Southend area. Your report of you couple of hours on the barley was great; I could picture every aspect. One bonus of our relocation is that our new workshop is on an arable farm, so some new permission could be on the cards.