The Scottish game fair at Scone is run by the GWCT, isn't it? You should ask them. But given the fact that Scone - lovely place that it is - is so distant from the vast bulk of the UK population, I am not sure whether the GWCT would see the commercial logic in the same way that the national Game Fair, in south east England, has.

If all else fails, try asking the Scottish Government if they would mind subsidising your ticket to Scone out of the £1900 extra public expenditure per head given to the Scots under the Barnett Formula.

As I understand it BASC is involved with financing/running the new national game fair.........they can offer free entrance for their members, if they choose....the CLA decided not the run the event after last year! So BASC took it on!

BASC are not involved financially with the running of the Scottish game fair, as stagboy said the GWCT run the Scone game fair.....why would they give free entry to BASC members?

I don't think BASC are organising it or financing the national game fair. But the new organisers (no longer CLA) want maximum footfall, to keep standholders etc happy, so they wanted to get the UK's largest fieldsports organisation on board and BASC was able to drive a fantastic bargain for their members.

In the end, it's about footfall and attracting the right demographic to a national event, held near the centre of the UK's population density. The organisers are dead keen to attract BASC members to attend for straightforward commercial reasons. Fair enough. No other org has the same membership and therefore the same clout.

The Scottish Game fair at Scone is very different. For a start, it prides itself on being, er, Scottish. It raises money for an excellent cause - the GWCT. Just 8 per cent of the UK's population live in Scotland, and Scone's attendance is only about a fifth the usual size of the national game fair. In any case it is so well established under its existing management that I personally cannot see why they would be willing to offer the same deal to all BASC members - the vast majority of whom live two or three hundred miles from Scone and would never attend anyway.

But who knows - maybe BASC has started something now and we will see other free entries at show around the UK in the future. I am just glad I am a BASC member. It's a long way for me to go to Hetfordshire, but because entry is free, I am going to make a long weekend of it. Sadly, I won't be going to Scone this year.

I am a Gamekeeper member of BASC in Scotland, I have never been offered any free tickets for the Scone Game Fair, but would be happy to take them if they are on offer.

A few years ago they did sent me a letter I could get free tickets for one of the fairs south of the border, but I wrote back to them to let them know it was to far away , and if Scone tickets were available I would welcome them. They never replied ! Lol.

Bill

The people running the Game Fair at Hatfield house are giving BASC members free entry. This is not a BASC freebie, rather I suspect an attempt to bring in lots of people so they can attract exhibitors by saying we will have lots of people looking at your stands.

I can only imagine the howls of complaint if the BASC actually subsidised one show above another.

Join the GWCT they do really good work and you would get a discount for Scone. I get a discount but it is a bit far.

David.

Edited by Kalahari

If BASC are involved with financing the game fair at Hatfield I am sure we would have heard something about it by now.I think it is great for BASC members to benefit from free tickets.The price of entry is far from cheap to any of the summer shows.

BASC are the official partner to the 2017 game fair, so I think it's likely they have some sort of financial interest in the project? If not why would the people financing it allow BASC "free" entry for their membership into the fair?

See answers already given, above.

I think the death of some game fairs has been the fall off in trade stands, I am sure this is partly driven by cost, but they hope to persuade the more interesting trade people to turn up by saying we are bringing in lots of people who are serious sportsmen not just tyre kickers.

David.

PS if you think the game fair admissions are overpriced you haven't been to the theatre, a big sporting event or a concert lately.