state pension

ips

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all very confusing, think mine said it could not increase so does that mean I could pack in work and contributions now and get the same amount in 2031 than if I carry on ??

That's how I interpret it. If you work you have to contribute but if you stop work then your contributions also stop and you would get the same amount.

That's how I interpret it. If you work you have to contribute but if you stop work then your contributions also stop and you would get the same amount.

Weird innit. You would think there would be a incentive to carry on paying NI. Anyway question answered my pension is safe if I stop work before I am 67 which is defo going to happen, my old dad dropped dead in front of me in the office at 57 and never had the chance to enjoy any retirement, it ain't gonna happen to me...hopefully.

Just had another look.

Mine says 36 years contribution, no gaps says £159.55 and you cannot increase this. Presumably as I have reached the minimum years of 31 or whatever there is only one figure but those that haven't done 31 years hard labour will have two figures one if you stop now and one if you carry on. Still not sure why there are differences in the end amount as I thought pension was pension, so why are some getting more than others ??

Just had another look.

Mine says 36 years contribution, no gaps says £159.55 and you cannot increase this. Presumably as I have reached the minimum years of 31 or whatever there is only one figure but those that haven't done 31 years hard labour will have two figures one if you stop now and one if you carry on. Still not sure why there are differences in the end amount as I thought pension was pension, so why are some getting more than others ??

I don't get that either. Mine definitely states 30 years contribution and £177/month in 2029.

Are there any PWers who understand the state pension scheme in detail who can answer this?

When I log into my HMRC account it details my NI contributions year by year going back to when I started work in 1979 and states that I have made enough contributions to qualify for a full pension. Can you not do the same?

same as above checked mine, they tell you what you are entitled to, mine goes back to 79 too quite interesting to see how muck i was paying back then

My pension statement dated 04/06/15 which is based on the new state pension that came into effect 6th April 2016 states the following

Estimate based on NI contributions records up to tax year 2013/14, which shows 46 qualifying years will be £258.17 per week and may be higher by the time I

reach retirement age (January 2018).

This pension is made up of the state pension plus "SERPS" contributions. SERPS is now called S2P. (state 2nd pension).

I also have a Final Salary pension + a Defined Contribution pension which comes from my Previous Employer which I worked for for 46 years +.

Now been early retired since Christmas 2015 and loving every minute of it.

Hope my state pension is ok,am same as you Ips and self employed from age of 23,personal pension is nothing to look forward to.

Mate is same age as my and did 22 years in army and is on £750 a month which is about to double :unhappy: plus state pension on retirement.

I am told my company opted me out of full contributions for many years as I was in the in house pension scheme. I have absolutely no awareness of this happening at the time but the reduction I face now is not going to cause me grief.

What I would say though is the state pension is a magnificent bargain. Looking back over my old contributions, I will get back out every week roughly what I paid in each year in contributions. so that's 52-1 return.

In one year I will get back virtually what I paid in over my entire working life, nice for me but for the Government they need to get real and cost this out as a business not a hand out to the silver voters.

I am told my company opted me out of full contributions for many years as I was in the in house pension scheme. I have absolutely no awareness of this happening at the time but the reduction I face now is not going to cause me grief.

What I would say though is the state pension is a magnificent bargain. Looking back over my old contributions, I will get back out every week roughly what I paid in each year in contributions. so that's 52-1 return.

In one year I will get back virtually what I paid in over my entire working life, nice for me but for the Government they need to get real and cost this out as a business not a hand out to the silver voters.

How's it so good? Mine only shows what I've paid in on some of the years but most years are in the thousands not hundreds.

I've just logged into mine for the first time, in 2058 I'll get £156 a week.