Wright feeders.

Due to deer and badgers at the feeders and the associated wastage of wheat I am considering getting some Wright feeders to replace the springs that we currently use on my shoot.

Does anyone have any experience of using them?

I would assume so as they have been mentioned on here a few times.

I was thinking about putting half a dozen to try them what has put me off is the holes I use springs at the moment and I can cope with the small amount of chaff that I get but I worry that the holes would block and it would cost me £10 a ton more for cleaning it would this out way any losses I am not sure

Id of thought with the size of the holes it wouldn't be to big an issue.

Been using them for 7 years!

Only problems have been bits of plastic or litter in the feed or lots of wheat ears.

The birds will clear chaff as long as there is wheat to get at too.

In the long run much much cheaper than springs, in 7 years I'd have replaced all my springs a couple of times and lost so much wheat with badgers stretching them.

Ps running 80+ feeders

Thanks for that Paul I was at the game fair yesterday the ones I looked at seam to have very big holes are there two sizes or is this the norm they were £4 each . Sorry Paul I had a look in magazine there are two sizes they call it a dee feeder will replace spring it is made of metal looking at the picture the holes are smaller did you use the small or big one did you just replace spring or make hole bigger to take it

Edited by Michael Scotland

Re their hole sizing, it relates to the hole size in the base of your drum, the original size at 75mm ish being much bigger than traditional spring size, and, a direct spring replacement size of, iirc 50mm. Sizes are approximate from memory.

The size of the holes for the feed to come through work fine, first impressions are always that they look too big, however wheat won't flow through them, in fact I use these on the rearing field with 2mm mini pellet with no problem.

Edited by Paul223

• 3 weeks later...

I am using the MAC, a similar feeder but with vertical slots cut into it.

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/poultry-game-feeders/feeder-accessories/mac-feeder-attachment-p4008-c388/

I have found that very dry or small wheat tends to run out of the bottom horizontal slots so I put a Coke bottle top in there first to stop wheat getting that far down. Getting the slots reduced by 2mm would be ideal.

These are far better than springs we used to use that get damaged by deer and badgers,

I have about 80 drums out, mix of 45 gall and 5 gall, we are replacing the springs as they get damaged, so about 20 a year, got maybe 30 done so far with no issues.

A

Edited by Alycidon

I am using the MAC, a similar feeder but with vertical slots cut into it.

https://www.solwayfeeders.com/poultry-game-feeders/feeder-accessories/mac-feeder-attachment-p4008-c388/

I have found that very dry or small wheat tends to run out of the bottom horizontal slots so I put a Coke bottle top in there first to stop wheat getting that far down. Getting the slots reduced by 2mm would be ideal.

These are far better than springs we used to use that get damaged by deer and badgers,

I have about 80 drums out, mix of 45 gall and 5 gall, we are replacing the springs as they get damaged, so about 20 a year, got maybe 30 done so far with no issues.

A

Glad you said that, I got 10 from a company on eBay to try for the same reasons. Glad you get on ok with them