Kent Wildfowlers

Geo

Dear all,

I have recently had business cards printed and started door knocking operations , but as I expect this to take a while to bear fruit I have also been looking at clubs as a way of getting some permission.

I have been knocked back from one local to me for being too inexperienced as they 'don't have the resources to teach people about pigeon shooting'.

The club had been recommended to me by someone I was game shooting with at the end of last season , he thought I would be ok so I don't know how they made the judgment without meeting me .I have had a few days guided pigeon shooting with instruction and have been shooting game and clays for a few years now , so not totally new to it all.

However, I have not come on here to moan about them , I have also looked at the Kent wildfowlers that have land near me in Essex.

I am not currently into wildfowling ,although I could be in the future ,at the moment I am more interested in the pigeon shooting on offer.Has anyone had any experience of shooting over their land at Rettendon?

For £250.00 a year it sounds like decent value for money although I would guess the land is fairly heavily used given the number of members they have, if anyone knows what it is like I would appreciate a bit of advice.

Many thanks

Hi, just to clarify things, the Kent Wildfowlers have rough/pigeon shooting on several areas. We have two areas in Essex and another 6 areas in Kent. Some of the land is arable and some is Woodland. We also have a very active air rifle hunting section with access to several more areas of arable and woodland. In addition we have an air rifle target range. Of course the main part of the package is Wildfowling where we have vast areas available spread over five counties. All of the above is covered by Full Membership and if that's not great value for money I don't know what is, and don't forget the membership includes full BASC membership as well.

On the point of overshooting, let me say that all of our shooting is controlled by permits (which despite some rumours to the contrary are free). This allows us to monitor the amount of shooting taking place on all areas. Obviously the main question relating to the amount of quarry on the ground is more dependant on cropping/weather than the number of guns on the ground. There are very few places where you can shoot big numbers every outing, assuming that's what you want to do.

To sum up we at KWCA feel we offer an exceptional package to members, particularly if you take advantage of all aspects of the sport available. Take a look at our website for more info or call me for an informal chat.

Dave Thorpe (Hon Sec. KWCA 07836 771715).

Hi, just to clarify things, the Kent Wildfowlers have rough/pigeon shooting on several areas. We have two areas in Essex and another 6 areas in Kent. Some of the land is arable and some is Woodland. We also have a very active air rifle hunting section with access to several more areas of arable and woodland. In addition we have an air rifle target range. Of course the main part of the package is Wildfowling where we have vast areas available spread over five counties. All of the above is covered by Full Membership and if that's not great value for money I don't know what is, and don't forget the membership includes full BASC membership as well.

On the point of overshooting, let me say that all of our shooting is controlled by permits (which despite some rumours to the contrary are free). This allows us to monitor the amount of shooting taking place on all areas. Obviously the main question relating to the amount of quarry on the ground is more dependant on cropping/weather than the number of guns on the ground. There are very few places where you can shoot big numbers every outing, assuming that's what you want to do.

To sum up we at KWCA feel we offer an exceptional package to members, particularly if you take advantage of all aspects of the sport available. Take a look at our website for more info or call me for an informal chat.

Dave Thorpe (Hon Sec. KWCA 07836 771715).

Dave,

Thanks for the information .I hope you don't think my original post was a criticism of your club , I am sure it provides good value for money as a whole package . I was just trying to find out specifically what the pigeon shooting in Essex is like from other people's experience. I am not looking to shoot big numbers , just trying to find out what the options are locally to get more decoying experience though club membership rather than just door knocking. I wasn't aware of the permit system and see that you also have some good coarse fishing so membership may be a viable option for me.

Cheers

Steve

Cant understand why the club knocked you back given your game shooting experience

I have no idea especially when I was introduced by one of their members that I had been shooting with . Maybe club politics .

What about doing the BASC intro to woodpigeon course? Would they be happier after that?

I don't think there has been one locally to me although I understand that Bakerboy was trying to get one organised, I would definitely go if there was one . I have had a couple of guided days with Anglia sporting and have another lined up for the end of July. They are really good make an effort to help you get the best out of the day , I learnt a lot and shot quite a few pigeons in the end .

Did they specify what expierence you were lacking? I would have thought that as long as you were safe and tidy then if you had a poor day due to decoy pattern or hide placement it would be a learning curve for you alone...

They just said membership was open to experienced pigeon shooters only and they didn't have the facilities for training. As you said surely as long as I am safe and don't upset the landowner I can gain experience at my own pace. Seems strange.

I was a member of Kent Wildfowlers and shot the Hyde Hall ground in Rettendon.... Sometimes you would pull up and see hundreds of pigeons, crows and even rabbits. However a lot of the time they would be feeding in the middle of the fields which is to far to attempt a shot. I did have days where I shot nothing in hours, the most I ever had over there was about 10. Not great numbers in my eyes, however if your local and can drive past it a couple of times a week then you can see when its cut and drilled etc giving you a better chance of a decent bag. I'm about 40 minutes away so id have to just turn up and hope on the day. For just over 20 quid a month its not too bad if you can get the use out of it, I however have managed to secure a couple permissions in Brentwood which is closer to me so I wont be renewing this year. Have seen probably 5-6 other people there shooting on differnt occasions but only ever had one other person on days Ive shot there. Get the flight lines and hide in the right place and you could potentially fill a good bag.

Jack