White van syndrome

lancer425

Recently changed from LR 110 Green to a White Kangoo van, i have never given much thought to car colors or especially hiding them away when shooting pigeons i have just parked them out of sight from any roads if i can, although 100% legal not wanting inquisitive types mooching about.

Yesterday i noticed a good few pigeons dropping into a Beet field so i went for a try, and i noticed they were reluctant to commit a few were turning away as they got near the van.

It did not register at first as i can not ever remember vehicles ever putting them off this bad but i left about 18.00 pretty sure where i had the van parked was why i shot just two birds, yet there were a fair few around.

I thought about this last night and decided i would try a little experiment and sheet the van down with a Green Tarp i have.

I parked Van in same place sheeted it down and i noticed although there were less Pigeon about they were coming into the Beet well the chickweed growing in it actually far more confidently than yesterday.

I am quite sure the green tarp made a difference to how they reacted to the van.

So it just might be an idea to keep an eye on this scenario if you can not work out why they are unhappy one day.

I was surprised it made any difference, i have not seen this so obvious before but van is white, and having just got it i cleaned it and buffered it up shines like a new un, that is perhaps where i went wrong. :lol:

Ive got a bright silver van, should have seen it glistening in the sun last Saturday - was hot so couldn't face the walk as I normally do- leaving the van 800 yards away. Parked it 200 yards from the hide after setting up, no change in approaching birds or flight line. I was half expecting some of them to shy away- but nope- businessas usual.

What sort of person uses a kangoo van for pigeon shooting!

Oh yeah me! - never had birds bothered by mine, but having said that my van is rarely washed :)

One problem i do have is folk recognising my van and questioning why it is parked in pea field gateways when i am supposed to be working :lookaround:

Must say i have never had a problem before had a bright red astra estate and numerous other gaudy motors over the years, but i am pretty sure these pigeons did not like this Renault, perhaps its nothing to do with the color they perhaps dislike the fact its French . :lol:

Oh yeah me! - never had birds bothered by mine, but having said that my van is rarely washed :)

One problem i do have is folk recognising my van and questioning why it is parked in pea field gateways when i am supposed to be working :lookaround: sort of person uses a Renault van

I am enjoying this van it is more economical than anything i have had recently has decent ground clearance for a small vehicle, i got plenty of room in it and a neat over cab shelf my little aya fits on nicely up out of the way.

No frills i admit that, but i am enjoying it at the moment, it is a lot better than i expected it to be. :yes:

Brilliant little vans mate, mine is 13 years old now and went straight through it's mot last week, needed only a number plate light bulb.

Mine gets me everwhere at this time of year.

If the rear is racked out full of tools like mine, you can get 50 dead pigeons in the passenger footwell :lol:

post-57269-0-80867400-1412321861_thumb.jpg
Edited by aga man

Agree this one i got is nearly ten, but has 200k miles on it ex Andrew page so its been to hell and back but it is fine, straight through MOT last week advice on front tyres which i changed only fault is the resistor on the heater fan as gone it wont blow on low settings. Looks like dash top out to get to resistor and looks a bit awkward.

but then everyone knows that Norfolk/Cambridgeshire pigeons are stupid.

You might well be right there motty , I packed up around six pm tonight , taking the hide down and putting the nets in a sack I was more or less in the open and I had pigeons dropping in to the decoys , were they stupid, or were they clever knowing my gun was in its case , although having said that, I was on the Norfolk / Suffolk border :yes:

You might well be right there motty , I packed up around six pm tonight , taking the hide down and putting the nets in a sack I was more or less in the open and I had pigeons dropping in to the decoys , were they stupid, or were they clever knowing my gun was in its case , although having said that, I was on the Norfolk / Suffolk border :yes:

Had them do similar in suffolk,thrown decoys in field ready to set up whilst putting poles up had birds landing behind me :lol:

I really hope colour makes no difference. I've just changed from a green Rav to a silver one. I didn't notice any change when I pulled into the field in the silver one,The pigeons didn't even move from the other (unshootable) end!

The old green one is covered in moss and has nearly got its own camo and I have used it as the hide, sitting in the back with the door open and a bit of net draped round to shoot over. Saved a lot of time packing up!

GH

Does the farmer also have a white car. If so the pigeons may have been shot at from the white vehicle on numerous occasions to shift them off the field and therefore associate any white vehicle to be a threat.

That is a good point i never considered as a contributing factor in their shyness he does indeed have a white VW caddy van.

Have a pergeo partner, grey/green.

Can't fault it on fuel, and ️shot a few pigeons/rabbits/crows/foxes from the back.

Lift back door up drape a camo net and sit in van in comfort.

And the room with back seats down and access ability thru side doors is great.

• 2 weeks later...

One problem i do have is folk recognising my van and questioning why it is parked in pea field gateways when i am supposed to be working :lookaround:

know the feeling

• 2 weeks later...

I think zip dog got it in one farmer had been riding round banging at them and he must have done a good enough job of scaring them to make them wary of vans, it was only for about a fortnight in that one area. Been back since to a Barley stubble just a field away van was on the field 150 yards away other day caused no problem.

Incidentally this little van is awesome at the moment its dry enough to get anywhere i need to go, got enough ground clearance to not bottom out on tracks or when in ruts. 50+mpg passenger seat folds into a perfect dog bed gun fits nice on the overhead shelf i am loving it, be ideal for wildfowling, only thing i am a little skeptical about is when it gets real wet on the land i think its not perhaps going to be as popular with me then. :rolleyes: Never had a Renault before but seems alright up to now done 8000 miles trouble free in just a few months.