Defender 90 TD5 for a daily?

evolution380

Recently sold my weekend toy (evo vi) and looking to get rid of the daily runner and the dogs car.

Always liked the defenders and now I've moved into the country and I'm on the wrong side of my 20's it will serve all my purposes now I've got performance and speed out of my system. I do however have to commute to the city Mon-Fri but it's only 20 miles round trip and I can reduce that to 2 miles round trip if I catch the train.

How do people find their defenders for daily use? Or do you still have several vehicles? The missus will stilll have her car we can use for weekends away etc. I just want to get rid of all mine so I can focus on just the one!

I have a Defender and my wife has an Audi, long journeys etc always the Audi. My choice would be the Landy every time. It puts a smile on your face, I have had Landrovers for about 15 years and have broken down once where I needed recovery, I think that is a good record for cars ranging from 1969 to 2005.

I have had my Defender 90 for about 20 years (it was 3 when I bought it) - and it has been used as a daily at times. Mixed feelings; It is;

• Slow (despite upgraded engine)
  • Noisy (despite extra sound proofing)
  • Not very comfortable
  • Dreadful heating/ventilation
  • Dreadful wipers
  • VERY basic handling

but it has;

• reasonable thirst
  • low running cost
  • overall excellent reliability
  • character.

I think it will stay with me until one of us drops(!), but whilst I used to take it to Scotland every year, its just too slow and noisy for long runs as we both age (partially gracefully).

One point - you never get the speed out of your system once it's in - you might suppress it for a while - but it will return (I speak from experience and still have a fast estate and open 2 seater).

Edited by JohnfromUK

I have a 13 plate defender, mixed feelings on this engine, that's another story. I can not imagine using this as my only vehicle, they still only drive like a van. Have one for a second car and you will love it. Have one as your only vehicle and you will be selling it in the near future.

Mine has the TD5 engine it is not a rocket ship but it is not what I would call slow off the line.

They are not bad off the line, but, try to overtake something doing 45/50 (naturally on a road with a 60 limit) - and it doesn't half take a long time compared to a 'normal car'. I have driven 200 tdi, 200 tdi uprated, 300 tdi and td 5. All are pretty slow once the wind resistance builds up a bit (which is quite understandable) and overtaking much more than a bicycle needs careful forward planning!

They are not bad off the line, but, try to overtake something doing 45/50 (naturally on a road with a 60 limit) - and it doesn't half take a long time compared to a 'normal car'. I have driven 200 tdi, 200 tdi uprated, 300 tdi and td 5. All are pretty slow once the wind resistance builds up a bit (which is quite understandable) and overtaking much more than a bicycle needs careful forward planning!

To be honest I don't overtake much.

My 300tdi was plenty quick enough to keep up with modern traffic and would cruise easily at 75-80 no problem. Overtaking was never an issue.

Perhaps it's just what I'm used to: I have been lucky to have fairly quick 'everyday cars'. The Defender is very adequate, but I have found that when used as an only car that overtaking needs considerably more 'planning'. This is to be expected as the Defender probably weighs a bit more - and has well under half the horsepower of my everyday car.

Agreed it cruises happily (if a little noisily) at 70-75, but it does take a little while to build up to that.

I just sold my 1999 x reg 110 i purchased in 2004 it replaced a k reg 200 tdi 90 i had from 1995, i have had land rovers since i was 17. The 110 TD5 was good as a daily drive it was reliable being a station wagon it could transport kids dogs and still tow trailers a good all round vehicle.

I did all the maintenance on that car myself it did need work in the 220k miles we had it but nothing i did not expect it was reliable on the whole.

One thing i do not miss is the fuel consumption which although expected was not great.

Should do what you need my advice drive the 2 miles catch the train on the commute.

Edited by lancer425