Increasing the distance on memory retrieves 2

lee-kinsman

Another excellent video. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

As you're already doing memory retrievers, when will you start with short blinds?

Thank you labstaff. When we get to 50yds, we'll introduce the occasional stop whistle and back command, then switch to a memory retrieve walk the dog away and send left, revisit the straight memory retrieve with the occasional stop and back then switch to a memory retrieve walk the dog away and send right. All based over a distance of building up to 50yds and placing the dummy in the same area. After all this the dog will take a blind without hesitation on the same ground.

When you say introduce the stop whistle do you mean with the dog at heel rather than stopping her on the out run?

No, she already has the stop whistle. That's one of the first things I teach a pup, we'll engage in boisterous play and then freeze commanding sir, reward and start over again. A little bit like musical statues but with a pup. This gives the pup a good foundation for the stop whistle being positive.

So what I meant was to introduce the stop whistle when she's sent out for the retrieve.

Look forward to vids of "propper" dogs then.

I will get me coat and me tin hat 😁

Haha, a spaniel aint what I'd call a proper dog.

A spaniel is like a dodgy dinner I'd make when I was a student. I'd throw all kinds of leftovers together to make a meal but with a whole lot of faith, these weird ingredients would just come together and work.

Haha, a spaniel aint what I'd call a proper dog.

A spaniel is like a dodgy dinner I'd make when I was a student. I'd throw all kinds of leftovers together to make a meal but with a whole lot of faith, these weird ingredients would just come together and work.

Ha 👍