practice for game

ips

I would say a two man flush, good fun and cheaper than a days simulated clays. Edge Hill in Warwickshire do a good one but am sure there are plenty of others !

I just struggle moving from clays to game. I was on 80% on clays last year but then went onto my worst game season to date :unhappy: Needless to say am not wanting a repeat of the last game season so am at a bit of a loss as to whet to do to remedy this also.

ATB

Matt

What works for me is plenty of shooting out of season, whether it be clays or preferably decoying, but my technique never differs no matter what I'm shooting, which is to sweeeeep through the target and pull the trigger when the target disappears.

The only exception to this is when shooting ( live ) bolting bunnies, in which case I track the target and then gently push the muzzles just under the front feet before taking the shot.

I think the most common mistake people make in game shooting is to stop swinging.

It really is dependant on what type of Game shooting that you do.

Driven Game requires practice at High & Low Tower stuff , flushes and maybe simulated .

But when we take into account that the majority of countrymen are rough shooters or shooting on a keepers day where most shots are at going away birds , then a bit of DTL will sharpen you up .

Nothing beats constant practice and shooting opportunities.

What works for me is plenty of shooting out of season, whether it be clays or preferably decoying, but my technique never differs no matter what I'm shooting, which is to sweeeeep through the target and pull the trigger when the target disappears.

The only exception to this is when shooting ( live ) bolting bunnies, in which case I track the target and then gently push the muzzles just under the front feet before taking the shot.

I think the most common mistake people make in game shooting is to stop swinging.

Good post Scully, yes I think I am guilty of not always finishing the shot plus as a trap shooter losing the target / bird behind the barrell is a bit alien. With hindsight I would advise anyone getting into shooting not to only shoot trap because if you ever move to game your stuffed until you unlearn everything.

Sweep through pull trigger when target disappears 👍 a very succinct explanation, I think I am still subconsciously riding the target on the bead

It really is dependant on what type of Game shooting that you do.

Driven Game requires practice at High & Low Tower stuff , flushes and maybe simulated .

But when we take into account that the majority of countrymen are rough shooters or shooting on a keepers day where most shots are at going away birds , then a bit of DTL will sharpen you up .

Nothing beats constant practice and shooting opportunities.

Walked up going away dtl type bird would be a doddle it's those pesky crossers and incoming quartering jobs that do for me 😁

100% agree with this. Most of my missed birds last season were 'easy' overhead pheasants where I though I had all the time in the world , the problem is that they are accelerating ,unlike clays,and by the time I mounted the gun I had run out of swing and ended up stopping the gun missing behind , whereas snap shooting at partridges that appeared from nowhere led to much better results, with less time to think I seemed to mount the gun more quickly and keep it moving. I think pigeon shooting is the best practice , if only I could get more of it !

Geo

Yes I too have found that snap shooting gets better results, for me.

I read in a game shooting book that it can help to look down from the incoming driven fo a couple of seconds presumably so your not over thinking or pre meditating the shot. Don't know if that's good advice or not but it was a well informed shooter. Pretty sure my issue is not "covering" the target / bird and not finishing the swing. Both pretty fundamental aspects really and no real excuse for it 😞

Had a few afternoons on rook, only had half a dozen shots or so but they should have been easy, perhaps the fact that there comparatively slow makes one somewhat lazy with the swing ??? Had good shot on a screaming quartering incoming pigeon which kind of proves the point....maybe ?

Pigeons take a lot of beating to keep you sharp. Rather than decoying try and find a flight line up a hedge or side of a wood on a breezy day, you will be presented with a whole selection of shots. Look at the bird. Clays are good fun but not quite the same, too predictable. Difficult to present a 40yard partridge, sliding on a tail wind with a clay.

Yep, I try to have a few days on the stubbles in August just to get back into the swing of things but been at it long enough now I don't take long to get back in the groove.

A bit of advice on driven game, don't pick the gun up too early ... make it all one smooth movement ... in other words don't hover waiting for the bird to get to you, with the gun in your shoulder, nine times out of ten you'll miss. Pick where your going to kill it and aim to kill it thirty or forty yards infront of you, gives you a nice smooth change onto a second bird.

I have to agree with the opinion decoying is just about the best way to sharpen up for the game season.

We don't get to decoy as much as I would like, but we do so she never possible. You will see every possible combination and variation of shot there is.

Given the choice I would decoy rather than shoot game, as I get a bigger buzz from it, but nothing beats informal game shooting for that social occasion in my opinion.

just got back from 100 esp at a ground half an hour away that I have never been too before, very nice place "the owls hoot" anyway I shot reasonably well. I used swing through (based on scullys sweep through explanation) almost exclusively and it seemed to suit me better than my default pull away, maybe its similar to trap in as much as chasing a target down. Its definitely shooting flat as a flat thing.

ps

I really struggle with going away over your head job such as high 1 on skeet ??

Don't underestimate the benefits of a few rounds of skeet. That should get you used to seeing some space ahead of the target. If you start with your gun ahead of the clay it won't 'disappear' either.

Yes I thought skeet may be useful