nothing is selling

kody

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else noticed nought selling shotgun sales pity especially sxs

Can't even part x nothing waste of time so keeping what I got

But surely, with the depressed market in SxSs, now is the time to bag a bargain.

There are some cracking Spanish SLEs to be had, although the AYA range seem to hold their price. Why not get a bit of fine English, sorry British, gun making history with a classic Boxlock. English boxlock non ejectors are going for silly money and are good examples of the gunmakers art. Even BLEs are going really cheaply.

It's not just about investment or resale values, the joy of owning and using a piece of gun making history is an absolute pleasure.

That's not to say use your O/U for most shooting but to take out a side by side occasionally in my book, is a must.

Each to his own of course, but having been brought up using side by sides, I cannot bear the thought of not owning and using one.

Anyone young enough to see the fashion change in the future, buy yourself a nice Churchill XXV for £1500 now and wait for resurgence in short barrelled side by sides.

Just my opinion, so I wait to be shot down in flames on this.

OB

OB, I think you're quite correct, buy whilst the market is depressed. :good:

There are loads of bargains out there, I should think every gun-shop has a back room full of trade-ins, just waiting for Wabbitbosher to collect. :rolleyes:

A while ago Mick was giving single barrel shotguns away, I reckon he will be doing BOGOF deals on SxS's soon! :yes:

For some time now the gun trade in Scotland has been dead but it just wont lie down but if you are selling £10,000 to £100,000 guns the phone wont stop ringing.

Pre recession shooters would think nothing of putting a few grand on their credit card or even borrowing it from their then happy to oblige bank but as of now they are living from month to month and guns are not financable.

But surely, with the depressed market in SxSs, now is the time to bag a bargain.

There are some cracking Spanish SLEs to be had, although the AYA range seem to hold their price. Why not get a bit of fine English, sorry British, gun making history with a classic Boxlock. English boxlock non ejectors are going for silly money and are good examples of the gunmakers art. Even BLEs are going really cheaply.

It's not just about investment or resale values, the joy of owning and using a piece of gun making history is an absolute pleasure.

That's not to say use your O/U for most shooting but to take out a side by side occasionally in my book, is a must.

Each to his own of course, but having been brought up using side by sides, I cannot bear the thought of not owning and using one.

Anyone young enough to see the fashion change in the future, buy yourself a nice Churchill XXV for £1500 now and wait for resurgence in short barrelled side by sides.

Just my opinion, so I wait to be shot down in flames on this.

OB

hello, yes i can vouch for the changes, one gun i should have kept was an ARMY and NAVY 25 XXV cased and mint condition/ made for a navy sea captain

I think the s x s trade has been in the doldrums for several years now and now it is rock bottom , at the moment I have got six in my cabinet , the gun I use all the while is a B S A ej , s x s , I use it for wildfowl , game and pigeons .

I bought it from our local auction about ten years ago , it was like new and looked like it had never had a shot fired through it , I gave £170 for it and with the fees it was just under £200 , I use on average 4000 shells a year and the only thing I had to replace was the top lever spring which cost £23 and the gunsmith put it in for nothing as we buy a lot of cartridges in the game season .

So in ten years and having fired around 40,000 shells that gun don't owe me a penny and I will be using it again later on today .

I think the s x s trade has been in the doldrums for several years now and now it is rock bottom , at the moment I have got six in my cabinet , the gun I use all the while is a B S A ej , s x s , I use it for wildfowl , game and pigeons .

I bought it from our local auction about ten years ago , it was like new and looked like it had never had a shot fired through it , I gave £170 for it and with the fees it was just under £200 , I use on average 4000 shells a year and the only thing I had to replace was the top lever spring which cost £23 and the gunsmith put it in for nothing as we buy a lot of cartridges in the game season .

So in ten years and having fired around 40,000 shells that gun don't owe me a penny and I will be using it again later on today .

Good for you Marsh Man,

That is good testament to sound English gunmaking.

BSA certainly made gun to last and that proves it.

Enjoy it and your other side by sides.

OB

My Father in Law decided not to renew his shotgun certificate. The gun dealer did not want his nice SxS, "nobody's buying" so I have his nice gun, and the Baikal was given way!

Seems this experience is mirrored here.

Cheers

Aled

Shame is a lot of these unwanted SxS will end up scrapped. I have two one is worthless the other a nice sidelock I like a lot and don't plan on ever selling it.

I have noticed even early over and unders are not selling either so the market has softened of late. Can't remember the last time I saw a Lincoln or a Rizzini being used on the clays, yet less than a decade ago they were often seen.

Seems the marketing from the big boys is working.

Quite correct Figgy I often wonder what happens to guns even o/u everyone had a Browning 325 not long ago what has happened to them all

On another tack I used to shoot a BSA s/s great guns have some internals from scrapped guns springs and things if anyone is short.

Good for you Marsh Man,

That is good testament to sound English gunmaking.

BSA certainly made gun to last and that proves it.

Enjoy it and your other side by sides.

OB

THANKS... O B ..... All my guns are English apart from one s x s which is German , the workmanship on that gun is first class and is a sound gun , the only thing I am not keen on is a cheek piece on the stock but I can put up with that and I am sure it has got more years of service left in it than I have got .

One of my guns that wont get any more use is a Charles Osborne, n / e, s x s , this I used for a number of years until the top rib started to come loose , I enquired on here about how much to put right , one of the members kindly got in touch and said to do the job how it should be done would cost around £200 , this includes removing the rib, cleaning any rust that normally builds up inside , relaying the rib and re blueing it , that's not to bad if you intend keeping it for sentimental value , but you can now pick up a sound n/e for not much more than half the cost of the repair .

So apart from the memories it hold , I am afraid one day the steel on it will be melted down and put to other uses ,

Not good for the sellers but good for the buyer definitely. I fancied a sxs as I'd never used one. Considered borrowing one then realised I could buy one for £35! But I'm like a previous poster. Now I have it I'll never be able to part with it. In my mind I've saved it from being destroyed.

Never knock a cheap sxs I bought one 2 month ago from a lad at the gunclub . Said I needed a fine English shotgun..on inspection it had czechoslovakia on ...paid £30 for it ..I am now in a dilemma I am hitting 98% with it and only 80% with my £2500 over under..do I now get an old English side by side...as I obviously shoot them better..but on doing so I would be out of fashion