nothing is selling

kody

but on doing so I would be out of fashion

Hands up all those on here who give a flying frig about fashion...

Shoot what you shoot well with, let the others talk, their smirking will soon stop when they realise that their hard earned money thrown at their fancy guns doesn't necessarily make them shoot well.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never knock a cheap sxs I bought one 2 month ago from a lad at the gunclub . Said I needed a fine English shotgun..on inspection it had czechoslovakia on ...paid £30 for it ..I am now in a dilemma I am hitting 98% with it and only 80% with my £2500 over under..do I now get an old English side by side...as I obviously shoot them better..but on doing so I would be out of fashion

Style is never out of fashion. :good:

Never knock a cheap sxs I bought one 2 month ago from a lad at the gunclub . Said I needed a fine English shotgun..on inspection it had czechoslovakia on ...paid £30 for it ..I am now in a dilemma I am hitting 98% with it and only 80% with my £2500 over under..do I now get an old English side by side...as I obviously shoot them better..but on doing so I would be out of fashion

Hands up all those on here who give a flying frig about fashion...

Shoot what you shoot well with, let the others talk, their smirking will soon stop when they realise that their hard earned money thrown at their fancy guns doesn't necessarily make them shoot well.

I fully agree with you both , well I would, as I have only shot with a s x s for over half a century and I tell yer the truth , I couldn't care two monkeys what people think , I am the one using it , and I am not likely to change now .

As a small instance , this morning me and my brother got invited to a clay shoot and b b q on the shoot we both help on in the winter , he is 73 and I am nearly 70 and both of us use a s x s, we both shot a round of what you would class as sporting , I am not saying we hit them all and came top because we didn't but we both held our own and shot as well as all the ones using o / u .

When it was over and we were enjoying a bacon roll , several of the guns asked us if we minded if they looked at what we were using and then the punch line , would we mind if they had a shot or two , certainly not , go ahead and help yourself , afterwards some said they were like drain pipes and how on earth did we hit anything and others said they enjoyed using them and as they were cheap they would seriously think about buying one .

So although we will never be converted to a o / u now at our age , we might well had converted one or two to a s x s , lets hope so and I bet they wont regret it.

I love SxS I love my sarasqueta sidelock I struggle with double triggers but intend to shoot it exclusively this game season. There is something quite artistic and thoroughly British about a SxS . Anything other than a SxS on a driven day just isn't cricket old boy.

I love SxS I love my sarasqueta sidelock I struggle with double triggers but intend to shoot it exclusively this game season. There is something quite artistic and thoroughly British about a SxS . Anything other than a SxS on a driven day just isn't cricket old boy.

hello, why do you struggle with the D/Triggers ips

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

From memory its 14 1/2" from trigger to centre of butt pad. The gun fits perfect its thirty odd years of single trigger at trap that's the problem

hello, yes i understand with the S/T, with the VS i find mine better with a slighly longer LOP between the front and back triggers using a (1/4 inch) rubber slip on pad so use the tip of finger for front t and crook of finger for back t , i have to admit shooting from the 1970s with S/S, i much prefer now my S/T on my 525, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, how have you measured the LOP ?

hello, yes i understand with the S/T, with the VS i find mine better with a slighly longer LOP between the front and back triggers using a (1/4 inch) rubber slip on pad so use the tip of finger for front t and crook of finger for back t , i have to admit shooting from the 1970s with S/S, i much prefer now my S/T on my 525, cheers

Two good points from an old head. Although any measurements are individually based. There's good reason why one maker when detailing his range of standard stock sizes specifies that for a straight hand (double trigger) 10mm is added to the specified dimension for the LoP.

Thanks for info

Sorry should have said that lop is from front trigger. Ok I will have a play see if longer lop makes it easier.

So after all those years your now cheating with a ST over under, shame on you 😁

Only kidding 👍

We have a guy in our shoot who in three years he is on his fifth new gun all Brownings and Mirokus and he cant hit a bird. He takes a 30% loss every time and he single handedly is keeping the local gun trade alive.

Bottom line is he cant shoot and he reads too many books and has had lessons from half a dozen "coaches"

Edited by Red-dot

I brought what must have been a rolls Royce of SxS from wrabbitbasher as it cost me the sum of£75.00 quite a lot for his guns I think

Anyway a nice tight gun maybe a bit stiff to open , but shoots a dream only problem in sporting the barrels get a bit hot

I would love a Damascus SxS

I brought what must have been a rolls Royce of SxS from wrabbitbasher as it cost me the sum of£75.00 quite a lot for his guns I think

Anyway a nice tight gun maybe a bit stiff to open , but shoots a dream only problem in sporting the barrels get a bit hot

If you were to add hammers into the equation, then assuming old (as opposed to some form of repro') and in good condition, then that you would have to pay for as these seem to be in demand.

Buy a hand guard or SxS gloves one hand is padded against hot barrels. Some Damascus barreled guns are very nice to look at.I wouldn't use maser fast cartridges in one.

Forget fashion or the latest trendy designs.

A mate was at a local driven pheasant shoot recently. One gun, quite a distance from him was knocking everything that passed him out of the sky. At break he went to have a chat....the gun he had was a .410 Winchester 9410.

Neither fashionable or traditional but got the job done.

Nothing against sxs guns, but prefer hammer types. Got a Tula Toz that's for target shotgun primarily. Very solid design that can be slightly tunedif you know what you're doing. Plan is to chop it to just over 24"

Forget fashion or the latest trendy designs.

A mate was at a local driven pheasant shoot recently. One gun, quite a distance from him was knocking everything that passed him out of the sky. At break he went to have a chat....the gun he had was a .410 Winchester 9410.

Neither fashionable or traditional but got the job done.

Nothing against sxs guns, but prefer hammer types. Got a Tula Toz that's for target shotgun primarily. Very solid design that can be slightly tunedif you know what you're doing. Plan is to chop it to just over 24"

+1 :good: A gun without hammers, is like a spaniel without ear's :yes:

Bill

If you are hitting 98% with it, why would you want to get something similar but different as the dimensions of the next gun are bound to be different.

I used to have a 1990's cz (choked full and full) but although i could shoot with it, i wasn't happy with the fit.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it......

Plenty of nice Damascus barrelled SxS Hammerguns out there if you keep an eye out - bought a v.nice Lincoln Jeffries "Lightweight" 12G dated approx. 1885 for under £300 a couple of months back. Truly beautiful gun to shoot and really is light as a feather - Damascus is stunning and the quality is amazing - gun looks about 20 years old.