Phone Scam - Heads up

Cosd

I received a text once from a 6 digit number with the heading CrazyWin early this year. Not having signed up to any sort of rubbish like this and not wanting to hit any links I simply deleted it. Had a few of these sent but being they were every now and again, it didn't register that these were being sent every Sunday at exactly the same time.

Me being me, I never look at my phone bills, I have 4 mobiles all on my account for my wife and two girls; My youngest was logged onto our EE account and noticed that my number was being charged £3.75 every week since February. So even though I haven't even been getting the texts for the last 3 months, as far as EE could see, I am still being charged for a text each and every week.

EE have blocked all our phones from these type of competition texts now, this also means we couldn't vote for example on tv game shows etc (not that we do), but it also stops any unscrupulous texts from becoming active on our accounts. I have now written to the company running these text competitions asking for a refund, they are apparently a legitimate company with seemingly low ethics!

Lesson is, check your bills.....

I'm with EE. I assume it applies to any provider though. Luckily I caught mine on the 3rd week I received the text. Like you, I can no longer use my phone to vote or donate, but it's worth it. How on earth can you be charged for receiving unsolicited stuff?

I don't understand how you get charged for getting a text ???

If it was me I would demand EE reimburse me as its there system that allowed it to be possible. Its like being sent a bill for having received unsolicited mail through the door.

I don't understand how you get charged for getting a text ???

If it was me I would demand EE reimburse me as its there system that allowed it to be possible. Its like being sent a bill for having received unsolicited mail through the door.

I'm with you on this, if that sort of thing was lawful surely we would all be constantly bombarded with texts we have to pay for receiving and there would be uproar.

Ive always found EE to be very good with this sort of thing.

A quick phone call to them explaining whats happened ,and the bill is adjusted accordingly.

Just a quick side note ,I get regular calls from various US numbers, you can answer them, but theres nobody there, and the call ends.

I think they are expecting you to ring them back, probably to some premium rate number.

So beware of that one too.

The point is, premium rate texts are legitimate. If you want to vote or enter a competition by text which is chargeable, we can all do this; That company charge our service provider and they in turn charge on our bill.

The unscrupulous part is how some companies, like in my case, where I have no idea how i was singled out! To be fair what i remember of the texts was that there was an option to respond STOP, but thinking it was a scam I didn't respond.

I don't have any beef with EE, I don't think they can be held responsible.

The way I understand I is that replying STOP has to be adhered too if of course the company is in any way legit. If they say text stop to not receiving further texts and you do continue too receive them then they have broken there terms.

In the original post you say you hadn't signed up for anything, so therefore why don't you think EE should refund your money?

I have seen competition/vote type ads which look like a one off event, but where small print says when you vote/text them once, you agree they can continue to text/charge you ongoing until you say stop.