£35,000 DIY Defender conversion.

Red-dot

The bloke that bought my Defender was planning on installing a V8 in it. Don't think he ever did. Don't miss it in the slightest.

I did notice that my standard 90 was great off road whereas those that started mucking about with lift kits etc. ended up having problems with snapped half shafts etc. I ended up buying a Pinzgauer and the standard of engineering on it is way, way better than the Landrover ever was. UJs not exposed, for example, I do feel that Land Rover have abandoned the utility market and seem to only make Chelsea tractors now. I hope the electrics in the newer stuff are better than they were

Why on gods earth would you want all that power in a landie? They aren't exactly stable at speed and £35k is a joke as well, get yourself a second hand chevy LQ9 engine from an old truck for £500, stick some cheap Chinese turbos from ebay on it and destroy the £35k conversion leaving £25-30k to spend on guns Instead and the £35k defender struggling to see through the cloud of tyresmoke you have left it in :-)

One of mine had a V8 in it when I bought it but I couldn't get anything in the back for the LPG tank, and it only did 12 mpg without it so I had a 200tdi put in.

Must admit if I had the money to waste I'd have a V8 put back in.

12mpg! As well as noisey and uncomfortable, I love a v8 but that's silly

My g-wagon did that on a standard day, straight 6, it never sounded anywhere as good as the v8 landie though!

Wouldn't have minded if it didn't sound like a sewing machine that topped out at 55mph with drum brakes that just stopped working in the wet ;)

I have an LPG tank in mine, doesn't take up that much room at all. I believe I am probably getting the equivalent of 33 to 34 mph money wise. Nothing quite beats that rumble from a V8. When I pull away from traffic lights in 2nd gear ...nice. Regarding being stable. Well the suspension is not far from that on a classic Range Rover from which it was derived and they had pretty good handling if you knew how to drive them. I took the first one to ever go to Belgium back in 1971 and came 8th out of an entry of 103, some works BMWs, it was the works motor as driven by Craythorne in the first Welsh Hill Rally, which he won and heh!! it's a Landie not a Ferrari so drive it as such. Great motor and as long as I can afford it I will continue to drive a proper Land Rover, not one of these smart alec Beech Boy models they are proposing.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't have minded if it didn't sound like a sewing machine that topped out at 55mph with drum brakes that just stopped working in the wet ;)

My perfect shooting vehicle would be one of the 2.5 turbo diesel ones. Cab is not big enough for me but who cares when you have portal axels and all those diff locks.