Red dot on shot gun ?

Ultrastu

I use a red ring style holographic sight on my hushpower mossy .i feel this helps see the incoming pigeons clearer and help with lead much better than just a bead on the end of a barrel .

Am i alone in this thinking? I very rarely see "sights" on shot guns out side of american military guns .

I cant for the life of me think why a gun would be better without a sight instead of having one .

Rifles always have a sight why not shotguns .?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a red ring style holographic sight on my hushpower mossy .i feel this helps see the incoming pigeons clearer and help with lead much better than just a bead on the end of a barrel .

Am i alone in this thinking? I very rarely see "sights" on shot guns out side of american military guns .

I cant for the life of me think why a gun would be better without a sight instead of having one .

Rifles always have a sight why not shotguns .?

Simply because although you will see the gun in your peripheral vision, you should not be conscious of seeing it. You are shooting at a moving target and anything that pulls your vision from that target, can actually be a hindrance. There used to be a Company that produced a 'Singlepoint' sight designed in particular for shotguns. I saw a lot of people rushing out to buy this 'Miracle cure' and spending a lot of money in doing so. Had it been such a panacea to shotgun shooters, it would still be around today. If all of these bells and whistles ensure that your gun never misses, perhaps we will see the top shooters using them ? Er......................NO.

Edited by Westley

Burris Speedbead seems popular

Ran a dedicated shotgun holographic scope for a while for slug shooting. Got some older 1960's & 70's shotgun sights in the collection.

Not got a scope on any shotgun at present....but never had issues in the past with any shotgun while scoped

How do you get on racking with a holographic sight? Cant think of anything more off putting......

When im pulling the trigger ive got both eyes open on the target and no real thought for where the bead on the gun is 🤔 but 90% of the time after the trigger is pulled something falls from the sky.

Thanks for the replies .

Ive been shooting shot gun for about 5 years now .decoying for about 4 most of this with my red dot .

.the thing with just a single bead sight on the gun or even just using the black blur of the barrel is you need consistent gun fit .ie to always look down the barrel in exactly the same way every time and to form a sight picture of the bird from that .obviously if this cant be achived (tricky when a bird is jinking about all over the place ) , a miss will follow .the red dot /ring .eliminates this as they eliminate parrelax error .so you can quicky mont the gun and even adjust your hild or have it less then perfect and as long as the dot is in the right place for the shot you will hit the bird .

I find this much easier .as in stark contrast my mate who shoots the same gun as me but without the dot sight .is always missing over or under his birds and easy birds too as his gun mount /sight picture can be consistent .

He has been shotgunning twice as long as me but last night my hit rate was about 90 % and his about 35 %

Am i a better shot .no i dont think so .do i have an advantage ? Yes its the dot sight .

Ps i find racking the gun fast and very instinctive to the point i dont know im doing it when on aim. Both eyes on the bird with the red ring on the bird or in front to allow for lead its very easy to see the lead and the ring actually give a range estimation as when its full of bird i shoot

Well i only can say .

Have you tried ? .

What if it can make a good shot great .say you generally hit 80 % of your birds .what if the small advantage it could bring improved it to 95 % .

I seam to have good success with mine and im certainly no long term shooter of 25 years with shot guns .

I guess its a bit like sking and snowbaording .sking being around for ever .few long term skiers bother to learn boarding and as they are so used to 2 skis 1 board seams overly hard and they give up .

But actually boarding is easier to learn and inherantly safer than sking .so most boarders are like my self started on a board and dont ski .

I basically made a move to a red sight very early on and for me now without it seams totally unnatural and difficult .

Ok .1 big advantage over a conventional set up is .when u have a bird approaching your hide directly towards you and it flies above you .to give the bird any lead you have to completely cover the bird with the barrel so you cant see it when you fire .how do you know in that moment the bird hasnt jinked ? .

With the red sight the projected dot /ring looks about an inch above the barrel so a bird can be always seen while giving lead in this or any other direction .

I like to give constant lead on a bird instead of pulling through the shot .

I use a red ring style holographic sight on my hushpower mossy

If the sight is along the lines of the the pilaf pro then I'm intrigued by the whole concept. Could you specify the sight you use please and how it is mounted on a shotgun. A photo or two might be useful. Thanks.

If, however, your sight is like the "Easyhit" or "Ruby" fibre optic sights then I am aware of these and the mixed views on their usefulness or otherwise......

Edited by Bobba

I was going to post a few picks of my set up .but the more reply options button isnt give me that option anymore ????

Basically i have a weaver rail on my mossberg and on that i have one of those multi reticle red dots that you can choose between .dot .ring .cross .etc .i like the red ring as its the same size as my pattern at all ranges from 5 _ 40 yds .so if a static target and it's in the ring i CAN'T miss .i have put a raised cheek piece on the stock to get perfect eye alignment too .

Id post a link but dont know how to .

But they are pretty cheap around £40

I was going to post a few picks of my set up .but the more reply options button isnt give me that option anymore ????

Basically i have a weaver rail on my mossberg and on that i have one of those multi reticle red dots that you can choose between .dot .ring .cross .etc .i like the red ring as its the same size as my pattern at all ranges from 5 _ 40 yds .so if a static target and it's in the ring i CAN'T miss .i have put a raised cheek piece on the stock to get perfect eye alignment too .

Id post a link but dont know how to .

But they are pretty cheap around £40

hello, sounds like what i tried on my ratty pistol but a much cheaper version :rolleyes: just put make and model number and someone may put link up.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper