Red dot on shot gun ?

Ultrastu

Well .just to add .

My mate who has resisted the red dot /ring idea for years .has succumbed. And has fitted a red ring .easy hit sight .on his mossy. He has shot now with it twice .and i think his hit rate has gone up .

He reslly likes it , as it helps with gun mount and range estimation of incoming birds .something he really struggled with before

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well .just to add .

My mate who has resisted the red dot /ring idea for years .has succumbed. And has fitted a red ring .easy hit sight .on his mossy. He has shot now with it twice .and i think his hit rate has gone up .

He reslly likes it , as it helps with gun mount and range estimation of incoming birds .something he really struggled with before

Oddly, I have just had the almost opposite experience.

Due to an almost absence of pigeons I joined a mate who shoots only clays. My hit rate wasn't what I had hoped for so fitted a Ruby sight (like an Easyhit) to my Miroku 20 bore. Things improved.

It's harvest time so Tues went out on the rape stubble. Many pigeons but my hit rate was dire. My shooting buddy doesn't see the benefit of Ruby style sights so suggested I remove it. I did and after about 20 shots I was back to form.

This experience seems to support the general theory that we are all different and there' s no one size fits all. The sight stays off the gun from now on.

PS. We had a good four hours with 90 pigeons.

Blimey! This is a runner for sure, with the old and the new ideas at loggerheads. I had a Mossy 500 Hushpower 20 bore for a while and seriously considered the red dot style sight, but was unsure about it's robust-ness (if that is actually a real word?) I was having difficulty being consistent with a some what awkward weapon. My shots varied from down right awful, to a bit below average. I lost a lot of confidence in myself but found the noise reduction a great asset. Needless to say, I sold it rather than fork out on sights and now have a Pedretti single shot fully moderated 20 bore and am shooting far better and until I saw this thread, had forgotten about sights. I'm about to buy a second fully moderated 20, but this time an over under and expect to shoot it like a "normal" shotgun. So in conclusion; I think there is a place for a shotgun with sights as it could possibly improve an otherwise ill fitting awkward gun, giving confidence and improved consistency. Not everyone can afford a fitting session or an expensive gun. It may work for some and not others. You stick to your guns Ultrastu (excuse the pun) and stick to your sights if it improves your average.

Cheers mate .

My buddy shot his 20b mossy hush yesterday with his new red ring sight on it .and he said his hit rate was about 50 % which is a big improvement for him .

Personally on my last pigeon decoying sesh I was at about 80 % hit for carts .which im very pleased at .

Some birds just dont drop no matter how many feathers get blown out of em .

Its the way it is i guess .

An excellent summary of direct first hand "hands on" experience from a user of red dot sights on shotguns.

Sorry I didn't realise it wasn't up for discussion?

True I'm a noob and haven't used a red dot sight however it's not false is it? Why doesn't Digweed use one and do you think it would make him shoot better?

Granted some will love it, some will hate everybody is different and has there own preference. I was going off my own issues as a bead annoys me as it is never mind a laser dot, but i'd be intrigued to try it as it is a completely different idea.

If you don't like a very visible bead but don't want to push your luck with no bead then fit a small brass game style bead. I have used these on every gun I have had for last twenty years.

Good shout! I'll look into that :good:

Well .just to add .

I'd genuinely be interested to try one out, it seems to go against most of what I've been taught but it does genuinely sound like a traditional vs modern ideology.

Seems a case of don't knock it till you've tried it! Just wouldn't fancy going out buying one, fitting it and then realising its not for me.. would be my luck!! :lol:

Edited by evolution380

I probably posted this in the wrong place earlier as was reading the wanted and for sale ads. This one is about £15 from the bay, not too much to risk to try it out. Seems OK to me apart from the name! Also, I will probably put a small dob of epoxy either side of the glass as have had problems with similar devices before caused by recoil etc.

Item ID: 391791404436

The fibre optic closest to your eye, the 'window' towards the muzzle, positioning is to personal choice

mounted on one of my model 37's (with unfortunate name still evident! I shall remove that!)

xpost-75958-0-34831300-1501068709.jpg.pa

with fairly poor ambient light indoors

xpost-75958-0-14955900-1501068707.jpg.pa

Edited by impala59, 3 minutes ago.

Roland

Guns, Guitars, Bikes and Cars and the love of a good woman who lets me indulge!

Edited by impala59

This topic grabbed my attention and I have been following the discussion closely and have also done my own research.

I admit that my shooting abilities are not great and if I hit 50% of my targets I'm happy. My difficulty has always been an inconsistent gun mount and a lack of "seeing that sight picture". Couple this to the fact that a decoying pigeon gets me all excited and my movement, mount and shot calculation (lead, swing through, general judgement) goes to pot means I miss. I remind myself to slow it down, get the mount right, calculate the lead for the distance and speed of the bird but time and time again it's in vain. The thought of having a tool to assist me overcome these challenges appealed to me and I bit the bullet on a easyhit red ring sight. Fitting this was easy and on my first outing of a very short decoying session saw me hit all three decoying pigeons before I had to call it a day and head to another farm to sort out rabbits whilst harvesting. The first that was shot was at about 25 yards and it was smashed in the air, dead before it even dropped a few feet before hitting the ground leaving a huge clouds of feathers floating off like confetti. The next two were taken further out and dropped out of the sky with a single shot. I have never managed three birds with three shots. On the rabbit shoot I shot over a dozen rabbits with a couple of misses. Again my hit rate is up from what I'm used to. I know three birds and a dozen rabbits is not enough to make a judgement on but my initial impression is that it has certainly helped me. From past experience I would have certainly missed one of those birds or at least needed the second shot to bring it down, but I felt a lot more comfortable in generating a sight picture with lead and tracking the bird in flight.

As was said earlier by another PW member each to their own as to whether a red dot sight works for you or not. For me so far it has worked. I will update you again once I have had a longer session on the pigeons to see if yesterday was a fluke or a genuine improvement.

Hi wingman. The timing was perfect and i was lucky enough to get one second hand off here for a third of the cost. I too would certainly not fork out £160 on something that may or may not work. I was considering the red dot sights that are about £15 on eBay but the red ring principle appealed more. I believe there are two red ring sights on the market, the easyhit and redring, though redring is seriously expensive.

I would if it's possible to modify one of the cheaper red dot sights and alter the laser or add a filter to produce a red ring? I might look into this as I love a little DIY project and see what I can come up with, especially if I want to add another sight to my other guns without having to spend hundreds.

I think I want to try one on my Mossberg which is only used for rough shooting and in the hide. Might take the plunge and buy one of the Ebay ones but I guess it comes from China so by the time it arrives I'll have probably forgotten I ordered it!

I think I want to try one on my Mossberg which is only used for rough shooting and in the hide. Might take the plunge and buy one of the Ebay ones but I guess it comes from China so by the time it arrives I'll have probably forgotten I ordered it!

hello, just looked myself wingman, i found if posted from hongkong it arrives quicker but they are all from mainland china, i will check out aliexpress

Ok .1 big advantage over a conventional set up is .when u have a bird approaching your hide directly towards you and it flies above you .to give the bird any lead you have to completely cover the bird with the barrel so you cant see it when you fire .how do you know in that moment the bird hasnt jinked ? .

With the red sight the projected dot /ring looks about an inch above the barrel so a bird can be always seen while giving lead in this or any other direction .

I like to give constant lead on a bird instead of pulling through the shot .

Cannot get my head around this, if as you say with a oncoming over head shot you can still see the bird because your head is raised high on the comb, surely that means a over head going away bird would be missed behind?

I can put my head anywhere I want on the comb as long as i can see the red circle/dot .it will be in the right place .as they are parrelax free .That's the beauty of them .

A traditional open gun is very very sensitive to parrelax issues mount the gun wrong and you miss .hence why gun fit is so important .the red dot circumvents this .