Red dot on shot gun ?

Ultrastu

I can put my head anywhere I want on the comb as long as i can see the red circle/dot .it will be in the right place .as they are parrelax free .That's the beauty of them .

A traditional open gun is very very sensitive to parrelax issues mount the gun wrong and you miss .hence why gun fit is so important .the red dot circumvents this .

+1 this is the fundamental point of the red dot type of sight whether active or passive, if you can see the Red, green or yellow dot, cross, X or ring, that is where the gun is pointing, irrespective of your mount, aim or hold

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like a cross between a spitfire sight and a video game......whats it like when it rains/snows/bright sunshine?...

As long as there is sufficient ambient light, the dot can be seen and as stated previously, wherever in the window the dot is , that's where the gun points. The fibre optic is in line with the bore and a pin sized aperture allows the bright spot to be projected on the window. This is as opposed to the fibre optic tubes fitted to the muzzle (also in line with the bore) in place of a bead, where the optic in that case is simply lit to be more visible when sighting normally (these work for me too)

yes I see that, but has it improved your shooting?

For me, yes, being left eye dominant (very weak right eye) and right handed, I find that I can pick up the dot faster than a bead and concentrate on the target (almost, now, like not seeing the dot at all as it has become quite instinctive) I guess that we are all different and have our pet theories and methods, just this, (and active type dot sights) works for me. As an example, I was always behind fast crossers, but now seem to be able to track and lead them better. As long as I do all the other stuff right, mount, squeeze, follow through etc. which, when not worrying about the track, is easier, I have seen my hit rate improve markedly.

Edited by impala59

Back out with my mate today with his red dot on his mossy and his hit rate was better than mine (first for a while .and i shot pretty good .but he was on fire .

Do they work ? Errr yes they do .

He really enjoyed himself and shot so carmly and natural. The birds didnt stand a chance .

I can put my head anywhere I want on the comb as long as i can see the red circle/dot .it will be in the right place .as they are parrelax free .That's the beauty of them .

A traditional open gun is very very sensitive to parrelax issues mount the gun wrong and you miss .hence why gun fit is so important .the red dot circumvents this .

Surely u still need a decent gun fit/mount?

Even with a rifle scope u still need to have a consistant gun mount, cheek weld, sight picture etc to shoot accurately.

But even not mounting ur gun right will create a different sight picture each time.

a mate went up north to the hinds who is usually a very good shot but was shooting a couple inches out and it turned out it was the cheek parts of his trapper hat hadpadded out his cheeks so changed his head position.

I struggle to see how no matter how u mount a gun it will still put the re dot in the correct place

But even not mounting ur gun right will create a different sight picture each time.

a mate went up north to the hinds who is usually a very good shot but was shooting a couple inches out and it turned out it was the cheek parts of his trapper hat hadpadded out his cheeks so changed his head position.

I struggle to see how no matter how u mount a gun it will still put the re dot in the correct place

Then you need to have a play with a red dot sight and see for yourself .

And read up about parralax .