Night vision

Anyone here still exclusively use a lamp and not NV? Do you feel hamstrung by this?

I use a lamp exclusively because decent NV or thermal costs a bomb and I'm only a recreational fox shooter, shooting a few when I can. I'm no 260 Rips!

I've had foxes run from the lamp but I've learnt that as long as I hold off and make sure you hit everything you shoot at then they don't become truly lamp shy.

I've noticed loads of NV going cheap at the moment, I'm assuming because it's he height of summer and people are freeing up cash before the night's draw in again.

I use a lamp 75% of the time I have done for years. If you read everything about nightvision most people say it is the only thing possible for fox control. Because most of them have never been up to the task of shooting them any other way. Night vision is a good addition to my ever growing gun room but it is no way essential to my fox control neither is the digital caller.

Nv don't have to be expensive , I use a homemade one with a e700 camera fitted .

Use it for everything from rats to boar :)

+1 cost about 130 quid in total with a t20 ir torch and can see easily to 300 yards. Yeh you havnt got the fancy record buttons on it and this that and the other but they do the job you make it for. I will say though, I'm planning another build and making one in to a spotter. No need to have a lamp at all then :)

+1 cost about 130 quid in total with a t20 ir torch and can see easily to 300 yards. Yeh you havnt got the fancy record buttons on it and this that and the other but they do the job you make it for. I will say though, I'm planning another build and making one in to a spotter. No need to have a lamp at all then :)

Spotters work well to, made one about a year ago , cheat now use thermal for spotting total game changer :)

Thanks for the replies. I found around November to January/February the foxes nigh on impossible to lamp, they'd either scarper as soon as the lamp hit them or I just couldn't find any for trip after trip after trip.

Guessing thjs would have been down to the time of year more than anything.

Also, I've taken to waiting and ambushing foxes as opppsed to just wandering around, in the style of the Mike Powell.

However, how would I go about doing this with a lamp? Just sitting there and shining a lamp every five minutes for hours on end?

Night vision gives you an edge but it's not essential. I love shooting with the night vision but a lot of my fox shooting is from a vehicle with a good old fashioned lamp. It's much more fun for your shooting partner to be able to watch you miss on a lamp rather than just hear a bang in the dark with nv.