Skipton gunroom

viking

Just pick the phone up and ask them, I don't know any RFD's that don't it is money for nothing for them.

I know a few who don't do it now.

It's certainly not "money for nothing" either.

Posting a gun now costs me £25 ish as well as paying a monthly fee to have the account. I believe that Sportsman guncentre stopped sending guns after there was an attempted insurance claim when something they posted for a customer turned up damaged, with no marks on the packaging.

True that receiving one doesn't have the same cost but the paperwork still takes time and time, as they say is money.

Also many dealers see it as taking a sale away from them. Especially if it's a new gun being bought elsewhere and ordered in!

I send and receive guns for customers but it's a real pita.

Edd

I know a few who don't do it now.

It's certainly not "money for nothing" either.

Posting a gun now costs me £25 ish as well as paying a monthly fee to have the account. I believe that Sportsman guncentre stopped sending guns after there was an attempted insurance claim when something they posted for a customer turned up damaged, with no marks on the packaging.

True that receiving one doesn't have the same cost but the paperwork still takes time and time, as they say is money.

Also many dealers see it as taking a sale away from them. Especially if it's a new gun being bought elsewhere and ordered in!

I send and receive guns for customers but it's a real pita.

Edd

I was meaning for receipt, £25 for 5 minutes work with a pen and PC isn't bad going. Not knocking them, its is a valuable service to the end user and cheaper than the fuel in most cases never mind the time.

Edited by JRDS

Wish it was 5 mins

Couldn't agree more! Just to have a gun sent (so not p&p costs or time)Be there to accept delivery, Un pack and examine, book it in. Deal with buyer and complete their certificate, complete transfer forms, in triplicate, email firearms, file all paperwork. ...and keep records. Oh yeah and usually dispose of the packaging.

People are always complaining about the cost of transfers and I always tell them the same thing:- you cover the cost of being an rfd in the 1St place, having premises and all of the other costs then I will transfer all the guns you want for free!

Edd

it does seem expensive, but when you dial down and see whats involved then really its not, the bloke at skipton said on carries no longer moves guns so whoever it was now has the monopoly and he used to pay £13 a gun i think he said, now its £25, and if its not something you do often then its no big deal :good::good:

Couldn't agree more! Just to have a gun sent (so not p&p costs or time)Be there to accept delivery, Un pack and examine, book it in. Deal with buyer and complete their certificate, complete transfer forms, in triplicate, email firearms, file all paperwork. ...and keep records. Oh yeah and usually dispose of the packaging.

People are always complaining about the cost of transfers and I always tell them the same thing:- you cover the cost of being an rfd in the 1St place, having premises and all of the other costs then I will transfer all the guns you want for free!

Edd

It is money earnt without outlaying anything using your spare time in the shop. The times I have had guns shipped they have been unpacked in front of me and I have been in and out in 10 minutes tops with paper / computer work done. Like I said not knocking RFD's for it and a valuable service but a good way to make easy money otherwise you wouldn't do it. These comments are different to complaining, I never did that before you jump on your high horse.

Edited by JRDS

It is money earnt without outlaying anything using your spare time in the shop. The times I have had guns shipped they have been unpacked in front of me and I have been in and out in 10 minutes tops with paper / computer work done. Like I said not knocking RFD's for it and a valuable service but a good way to make easy money otherwise you wouldn't do it. These comments are different to complaining, I never did that before you jump on your high horse.

Your the odd ball most as a list of questions about the new gun they bought from someone else.

The guns also needs to be booked in ASAP not when or if the client turns up. Then you need to do all the police transfer notifications etc takes a good 30 mins that's 30mins I'm not at my bench repair altering or making guns so £25 is a minimum.

Your the odd ball most as a list of questions about the new gun they bought from someone else.

The guns also needs to be booked in ASAP not when or if the client turns up. Then you need to do all the police transfer notifications etc takes a good 30 mins that's 30mins I'm not at my bench repair altering or making guns so £25 is a minimum.

Well mine have allways been unpacked in front of me in case of damage and liabilty, I know when they are delivered and use a local RFD so generally pick up within 2 days, I think you mean exception as opposed to oddball unless you know something I don't. My Police notification takes 5 minutes to fill in a short form I would expect an RFD's to take less given the volume and probably not individual notifications.

Edited by JRDS

1- I never suggested that you were complaining and was talking in general about customers

2- I'm not jumping on any high horse, I have explained here what I tell my customers (who in this case are actually somebody else's customers) when they complain about the cost

3- "using your spare time in the shop" - I do not have any "spare time". When I'm in my shop I am working. That time is not spare. Do you have spare time during your working day in which to do other work? Or would you consider that work and expect to be paid for it?

Not to mention that any time in the shop still involves paying rent and utilities, insurance, rates etc so every minute spent there needs to make money.

(My situation may be a little different to some as I run more than one business from my premises and literally work every minute that I am there)

4- "good way to make easy money" perhaps you should arrange to become an rfd and offer a transfer service if it's such easy money. I can assure you that as Daf has said the time spent doing transfers could be much more productive and proffitable doing other things.

I still provide the service of transfers to and from RFD's but it is far from easy money and in reality not worth doing. But if those that utilise the service from my shop then return time and time again then it is (barely) worth the "investment" of doing the transfer.

I bought and sold a lot of guns before becoming and rfd and took the service for granted, even moaned about the cost, but now I realise that far from being an easy way to make money its a lot of hassle for little or no reward.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley