Best and most luring bait for rats

baikiel boy

I have an old style catch alive rat trap . I also have a newer type , what would the most successful bait have tried both these over a couple of years and have yet to catch anything ,have had to revert to poison in the past . Rats are not on my property but are coming in from a scoop under a gravel board . Neighbor is a bit slow doing anything so I'm thinking leave traps where they are (been there a long time ) reset and maybe get lucky. Thanks for any input . bb

Thank each of you for your input. I think there is about 40ft distance from scrape under gravel board to position of catch alive traps, was looking for something with maybe a strong scent that would be picked up by the rat or rats also the trick to be achieved is to draw the rat into the traps in order to trip the mechanisms any further thoughts on these points? Regards bb

Thank each of you for your input. I think there is about 40ft distance from scrape under gravel board to position of catch alive traps, was looking for something with maybe a strong scent that would be picked up by the rat or rats also the trick to be achieved is to draw the rat into the traps in order to trip the mechanisms any further thoughts on these points? Regards bb

I wouldn't personally want to try attracting rats by provoked a food source, I'd suggest that would be a bit much.

However, a bit of snickers bar always worked a treat when I worked for 'that large pest control company'.

Also remember that if you are live trapping you need to regularly check traps.

I thank all of those who have been realistic and helpful with their suggestions . If and when any are caught live they will be killed safely and humanely .I am having new thoughts along the lines of surrounding the scrape under the gravel board with 3 large size rat traps . In doing this it should force them to cross 1 trap baited or not of course I shall have to protect these from birds and cats . Ive sentfornew traps to use alongside 2 I already have should get these Thursday maybe . Regards bb

Obviously don't know your situation but I would put up a bird feeder near the scrape your talking about then put several live catch or other traps nearby, peanut butter mars ,bar fat ball anything handy should do the trick.

This way any rats should hopefully get caught quickly on entering your property

Get a tin of cat food, pop some holes in it and place it with a safe back stop behind and within range of a nice air rifle of your choice. If you use .177 then go for flat head pellets.

Leave it a day or two. Come back with a few tins of beer and set up.

Shot rats whilst sipping the beer.

Well set midday , peanut butter , Nutella , checked at 8am today ,half success all 4 traps bait taken .No bodies left for me, new tactic going to tie some bacon or something similar onto treadle ,think they liked the bait may try a smear onto bacon . time to try again .regards bb

Either a jack Russell or a night under the stars with an air rifle and some night vision, I tried traps and sticky boards for months and even filled the rat hole with cement a few times at my last house with no success, it fell to my airwolf and homemade nv when all else failed, I even considered buying a.jack Russel it was so frustrating, they are "neurophobic" so are extremely cautious of anything new or different/out of place, it used to cover the sticky traps I put in its run with mud to get across them and dig new exits to its runs when I cemented them

Edited by Twistedsanity

And the latest is ,all baits still on but drying out . Will leave for rest of day and tonight then loosely block up scrape under gravel board tomorrow. Someone maybe poisoning or trapping , if scrape opens up again then I can try a new bait maybe the mini mars bars . My options on this are few its got to be traps such as the ones I'm using ,poison ,or catch alive which ive never had any luck with, glue pads never tried but don't like the idea some how . I shall get him ,her or them as I shall not give up . Shooting is definitely out of the question Regards bb

At last, this morning 1 small young rat,approx 4" from nose to rump. Bad news to me as it means more of the same plus adults. Neighbour tells me he is poisoning because some has been taken he seems to think he don't need to put more down ,I have informed him that this is not so and he should keep putting it down until none is being taken .Don't think he wants to spend money . Any way progress is being made and other plans to be activated . I will let you know outcome . Regards bb

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All , The latest is they became trap shy , so I had to resort to poison in the end . The neighbour said that he still had poison down but it had stopped going . I loosely filled in the scrape under the gravel board and have been keeping an eye on it . Thanks for your input and interest shown . Regards bb