Cartridge Pricing

Need some clay cartridges as nearly out and rang normal gun shop for pricing. Gone up quite an amount since last purchase but something that will have to lump.

What I don't understand is why they have such a difference for 1000 quantity, I would prefer to not have that amount about but will for the saving. I said to shop that if the price was the same for smaller amounts, say 500 I would be calling in the shop twice as much and if I needed anything else would buy from them. They would still sell me the same amount of cartridges just spead out over the same period. As it is I currently look and buy kit over the Internet because there is no other reason to call at the shop as it is out of my way. I think the whole pricing structure is counter productive as far as I am concerned

My local shop has cartridges set at same price per slab no matter how many you buy.

Think they also one of cheaper ones around at the minute plus it's only one minute down road so gets my custom.

We shop at the same place. I was in there yesterday talking with one of the staff about cartridge prices. She told me they sell 250 for the same rate as you would get them by the thousand. They figure if you're going to shoot a thousand then it really doesn't matter in what amount you buy them. (although by the box is more expensive).

It seems pretty clear to me that it's a good strategy. Every time you set foot in the shop there's a chance you'll buy something else, so far better to have you come in 4 times for your thousand rather than once.

Need some clay cartridges as nearly out and rang normal gun shop for pricing. Gone up quite an amount since last purchase but something that will have to lump.

What I don't understand is why they have such a difference for 1000 quantity, I would prefer to not have that amount about but will for the saving. I said to shop that if the price was the same for smaller amounts, say 500 I would be calling in the shop twice as much and if I needed anything else would buy from them. They would still sell me the same amount of cartridges just spead out over the same period. As it is I currently look and buy kit over the Internet because there is no other reason to call at the shop as it is out of my way. I think the whole pricing structure is counter productive as far as I am concerned

The 'Big' names have just dropped the price of their 'budget' cartridges to £170/1000. It may pay to 'shop around'.

The more the shop buys from the supplier the better the price to them, although not by much. Its about cash flow, that big order is tying up a lot of money for the shop, they can't afford to have them hanging about so they discount for bulk to shift them quickly.

Edited by Vince Green

Guest cookoff013

posts like these are really funny.

reminds me of my mate,

"hey, i need your help to go in with a massive purchase of cartridges"

-"cool, i could do with a good deal, i`ve got a few thousand left though"

"i`ve got a really good deal, really cheap, like a budgie"

-"how many thousand did you order? because i might not have room to store them in one big pile"

"i ordered a box"

-"a pallet?"

"no, a box. 250 shells"

-"thats like peanuts, like £50" (at the time)

"no, but i bought them on the 1000 rate, so its good"

-"i bought 5000 when they were £45 a box, so i saved £20per k, or about £100 total"

"could you swap them with me?"

-"why whats wrong now? whats wrong wit the shells?"

"well you could swap 250 of my shells for 250 yours and you give me £5"

-"that doesnt make sense, at all"

"but your shells are cheaper,"

all that over a crate of english sporters. some people are really silly about shells.

I tend to buy 3-5k purely so its done with for a while and there same batch which was important to me when I was competing. Now I just buy a slab when needed and cheap ones as I find pigeon and rook have an uncanny knack of finding holes in my pattern on expensive or cheap ones.

Speaking of which what's the script with steal jobs these days, does anyone use them for rough shooting or even clay ??

This looks a decent day out. Pity it's so far away. http://www.justcartridges.com/open-day

Just Cartridges Open Day
Saturday 1st July – 10am to 4pm
George Digweed masterclass throughout the day
Hints, tips and tuition from Chris Childerhouse our sponsored shooter and recently sponsored by Browning as well
Never to be repeated cartridge deals – only available for collection on the day and all purchasers will be entered in to a draw to WIN a Browning B525 worth £1599 plus cartridge prizes of course! A lot better odds than the lottery…
See and try the Browning range of shotguns, rifles and optics and meet the manufacturers including Gamebore, Hull, Eley and Express
See our new "print your own cartridges” labelling machine in action - orders taken on the day
Weihrauch air rifle range

Pig roast & drinks

This looks a decent day out. Pity it's so far away. http://www.justcartridges.com/open-day

Just Cartridges Open Day
Saturday 1st July – 10am to 4pm
George Digweed masterclass throughout the day
Hints, tips and tuition from Chris Childerhouse our sponsored shooter and recently sponsored by Browning as well
Never to be repeated cartridge deals – only available for collection on the day and all purchasers will be entered in to a draw to WIN a Browning B525 worth £1599 plus cartridge prizes of course! A lot better odds than the lottery…
See and try the Browning range of shotguns, rifles and optics and meet the manufacturers including Gamebore, Hull, Eley and Express
See our new "print your own cartridges” labelling machine in action - orders taken on the day
Weihrauch air rifle range

Pig roast & drinks

Just as well perhaps as I'd have had words about High Pheasant 7s - just cost me several weeks' pension.

10 pints isn't bulk in that industry but why not ask and try to do a deal. They might think you are just weird beforehand or laugh at you drinking 8 1/2 warm cheap pints stacked on your table all evening from the single transaction.

I had a summer job in a pub where heavy drinkers paid lower rates.

Those who qualified were buying more than eight pints every single day mind.

Just been to a shop that I don't go to very often, but needed to use as it is near my office and I need some cartridges for a clay shoot in the morning.

I asked for 28gm 7.5 12b fibre, the shop owner made a strange noise , sucked through his teeth and said all he had in fibre were Lyalvale express Super comp , £7.25 per box of 25 !

I had intended to buy a slab but just came away with 4 boxes which should be enough for tomorrow.

I usually buy Eley first or something similar for around £4.50 . I am not sure if the Lyalvale are a genuinely expensive cartridge , lead prices have gone up or I have just been ripped off.

I paid less for Gamebore black gold last season.

I hope they improve my scores !!

They're £8.20 from JustCartridges, so it looks like you weren't ripped off……...

Ok thanks for that , I hadn't bought them before so was surprised by the price , genuinely didn't know if the guy in the shop was taking the p*** or not . What makes them worth nearly twice the price of some others ?

Just been to a shop that I don't go to very often, but needed to use as it is near my office and I need some cartridges for a clay shoot in the morning.

I asked for 28gm 7.5 12b fibre, the shop owner made a strange noise , sucked through his teeth and said all he had in fibre were Lyalvale express Super comp , £7.25 per box of 25 !

I had intended to buy a slab but just came away with 4 boxes which should be enough for tomorrow.

I usually buy Eley first or something similar for around £4.50 . I am not sure if the Lyalvale are a genuinely expensive cartridge , lead prices have gone up or I have just been ripped off.

I paid less for Gamebore black gold last season.

I hope they improve my scores !!

Ouch.

I tend to just ask for their cheapest and take whatever it is. Im not convinced even an average shooter will hit that many more clays with the pricier stuff and my shooting is currently nowhere near average.

All that said, shooting clays is a cheap enough hobby. We were having a chat at work the other day about hobbies, one girl travels a fair bit and tends to spend 4-5k a year, the better half spends 8-9k a year on the horse, another chap likes cars and sinks about 10k a year into his merc depreciating like a stone. A golfer reckoned his golfing seemed to work out at 4k a year, those who had annual ski trip seemed to budget £1200 minimum for it. One guy spends as much an booze a fortnight as i do on cartridges in two months.... There are much more pricey ways to pass the time.

Edited by Wb123