Crows and pigeons

Tford

Hi,

I'm not the most experienced pigeon shot. I started last summer when I got bored of not seeing any foxes when lamping and just bought some pigeon (shells) and crow decoys (full body flocked), poles and nets on the spur of the moment. Not doing too bad since, not great, but still learning.

The land I shoot is mainly crows and rooks.

I want to shoot pigeon more, but given lower numbers I can never bring myself to ignore the corvids and decoy only for pigeon.

I always get a few pigeons when decoying corvids (this morning - 3 hours - 34 mixed blacks and 6 pigeons), but I really want to properly draw in more pigeons when corvid shooting.

So my question, is it possible to effectively decoy corvids and pigeons at the same time? If so how do I setup for both (remembering my kits is very basic!!)

Thanks

I usually set up my pattern with more decoys plus maybe magnet/flapper for the intended birds i wont to shoot...then a few decoys to one side of the main pattern just incase !

So just add some pigeons to one side of the crow layout, nothing more complex?

May invest in a flapper/magnet at some point, but trying to limit shooting spend (not doing that too well though!)

yes that's it....its trial and error with decoying though...some days it works other days it don't..same goes with magnets and flappers...give it half hour on a set up, watch the birds and see what their reaction is to your set up....some days though if the birds wont to be on that field to feed,just a few decoys out in front in 2 groups with a gap in the middle and their yours for the shooting !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had reasonable success with two separate patterns, a dozen or so pigeons with a flapper to my right and similar of blacks to the left of my hide, with about 30 yards between them. I think pigeons feel there is a little extra safety if they see the warey old corvids

give the rooks a damn good seeing to and you will either clean them up or push them on...................

then..............

"nature abhores a vacumn"............................you might start to see more pigeon come in.........