Dangerous Beko appliances

Me matt

Beko appliances- avoid would be my advice.

Second time in 4 years we have found out our model fridge freezer has been responsible for a fire and needed recall parts. Apparently this could have been the cause of the tower block fire in london, once again we have been instructed to switch it off- engineer coming on Friday to fit replacement part.

How the **** can they get away with this?

Surely its a given that something like a fridge freezer will be plugged in and switched on from purchase to until it either stops working or your mrs changes appliance colours again..... we are not talking rocket scince internal parts here, its just a fridge freezer. Im totally appaled that not only have we had a recall already as some had burst into flames but now many people cpuld have lost their lives through tin pot internal parts.

For gods sake- if anyone on here owns ANYTHING Beko- I would strongly suggest checking for recalls.

How did you find out about the recall matt?

We have a Beko fridge, we bought after they had trouble a while ago because it was cheaper due to them not selling well.

The Mrs was told by a friend who read it on social media- so even though they (Beko) had been to this house to repair a faulty part before - they didn't contact us in this instance 😡 made my urine reach boiling point I can tell you.

Is it true they now fill them with propane as coolant :unhappy:

From what ive read they could fill them with anything they wanted and get away with it, some brief research on beko failures was alarming.

Needless to say- Mrs Matt is now tasked with finding a suitable replacement that's not going to potentially kill us.....

Just wanted to let everyone know to be very wary of Beko appliances.

Turns out its a turkish owned firm- who supplies 1 in 5 domestic appliances sold in europe 😲 that's an awful lot of potential disasters right there.

I've got a Beko dishwasher. Whilst it hasn't yet caught fire it is most utterly useless piece of junk I've ever bought. Nearly everything comes out of it needing further washing and I've tried every which way of loading it and virtually every combination of separate cleaning agents and all-in-one tablets all to no avail. It also piddles water over the floor and makes a right racket. It is poor quality in terms of fitness for purpose and build quality. Never, ever will I again look at any Beko product and I'd advise others not to bother either.

I've got a Beko dishwasher. Whilst it hasn't yet caught fire it is most utterly useless piece of junk I've ever bought. Nearly everything comes out of it needing further washing and I've tried every which way of loading it and virtually every combination of separate cleaning agents and all-in-one tablets all to no avail. It also piddles water over the floor and makes a right racket. It is poor quality in terms of fitness for purpose and build quality. Never, ever will I again look at any Beko product and I'd advise others not to bother either.

We bought a beko DW 2 weeks ago 😰

It's not just Beko,we has a Hotpoint washer dryer nearly burn the house down years ago.We where just leaving the house (washer on)Sue forgot her glasses so went back in the house.She came out and said she could smell burning.I went inside to see smoke in the drum of the machine.Everything in the drum was fried!

Never leave anything on in the house now,not even the Wi-Fi.Just look at the fires with the Vauxhall Safira's recently and they only did a recall because ended up on national news.

Given the sheer number of appliances and total hours of operation is the odd catastrophic failure not to be expected?

White goods are cheaper than ever before, and you can tell when you take them apart.

If you would sooner pay for something built to a much higher safety level plus appropriate servicing than take a one in ten million lifetimes risk of a fatal fridge fire either you are ignoring other more serious safety issues that could also very rarely turn nasty or have a huge amount of cash handy to minimise every possible risk.

Doi: buy a £10 gumtree fridge each time i move house, sell the old one each time i move rather than shift it.

Edited by Wb123

Given the sheer number of appliances and total hours of operation is the odd catastrophic failure not to be expected?

I- like many others- would like to think that appliances used constantly like fridge freezers are tested beyond purpouse.

Obvs some folk will be happy to just buy any ole used one from a website and roll the dice.....

Actually- ive been sitting here wondering where im gonna off load this shonky Beko, not in the market for a second hand fridge freezer are you 😂

I- like many others- would like to think that appliances used constantly like fridge freezers are tested beyond purpouse.

Obvs some folk will be happy to just buy any ole used one from a website and roll the dice.....

Actually- ive been sitting here wondering where im gonna off load this shonky Beko, not in the market for a second hand fridge freezer are you

Got one thanks.

What failure rate would you accept as beyond purpose?

A guntree ad as free to first person to collect seems to work fast, but asking £20-40 seems to get people less likely to **** you around, and not much slower.

Edited by Wb123

I have worked in the risk/safety areas for products. The overall guidelines are along these lines;

• Failures that cause downtime and inconvenience are inevitable - and provided kept to an economic minimum are acceptable
  • Failures that cause injury/illness are broadly unacceptable and steps - even if costly are generally taken to reduce these to the absolute minimum, but a very few will occur with some types of product. Such accidents cause reputation damage that is (or at least can be) very costly.
  • Failures that cause death or severe long term injury are unacceptable - except where there is no practical means to avoid it (e.g. all cars can kill, but many measures like seatbelts, airbags, dual circuit and antilock brakes etc are provided to minimise risks even though things like airbags are unlikely to be 'used' in a car's lifetime).
  • Failures that cause multiple deaths are unacceptable under all circumstances - unless there is no conceivable prevention means.

Naturally - an element of practicality has to be included - e.g. an aircraft with many passengers can cause multiple deaths ....... but LOADS of measures and dual controls etc. are included to reduce the risks to a very low level, but you cannot practically reduce the risk to zero.

Is it true they now fill them with propane as coolant :unhappy:

Apparantly yes although I'm not sure about the 'now. bit.

After CFCs were banned a lot of manufacturers used propane but stopped after the fires started happening. The one that went up at Grenfell Tower was around 8-11 years old

I have worked in the risk/safety areas for products. The overall guidelines are along these lines;

• Failures that cause downtime and inconvenience are inevitable - and provided kept to an economic minimum are acceptable
  • Failures that cause injury/illness are broadly unacceptable and steps - even if costly are generally taken to reduce these to the absolute minimum, but a very few will occur with some types of product. Such accidents cause reputation damage that is (or at least can be) very costly.
  • Failures that cause death or severe long term injury are unacceptable - except where there is no practical means to avoid it (e.g. all cars can kill, but many measures like seatbelts, airbags, dual circuit and antilock brakes etc are provided to minimise risks even though things like airbags are unlikely to be 'used' in a car's lifetime).
  • Failures that cause multiple deaths are unacceptable under all circumstances - unless there is no conceivable prevention means.
Naturally - an element of practicality has to be included - e.g. an aircraft with many passengers can cause multiple deaths ....... but LOADS of measures and dual controls etc. are included to reduce the risks to a very low level, but you cannot practically reduce the risk to zero.

Interesting while slightly confusing....

But if you say;

"Failures that cause multiple deaths are unacceptable under all circumstances - unless there is no conceivable prevention means".

Considering the the fire brigade have repeatedly expressed concerns regarding the loss of life through Beko products - how does that register with you?

Interesting while slightly confusing....

But if you say;

"Failures that cause multiple deaths are unacceptable under all circumstances - unless there is no conceivable prevention means".

Considering the the fire brigade have repeatedly expressed concerns regarding the loss of life through Beko products - how does that register with you?

Our risk/safety work was initially done on product design/development, signed off for initial market release, then reviewed regularly through production and 'in service' life based on 'experience gained'.

IF we had identified a product that was likely to (or subsequently found to) cause fires with possible fatalities several times a year (or even once in the products lifetime), then the company for which I worked would not have sanctioned that. I.e. that product would not have made it to market. In the event of the product already being in the market, there would have been an immediate (and that meant same day as discovered) bulletin to customers.

Basically if there was a possibility of any serious or fatal accident identified - it had to be 'signed off' at high level - and in practice this would not have happened. Senior management would not take on high risks like that, as the company reputation was highly valued.

I should add that my area was professional not consumer equipment and therefore a different market. There is certainly a much higher standard of 'customer care' in the professional market - where reputations spread through the user community very quickly.