What did this?

Had a call from the keeper to ask me keep an eye on the new cover crop as it is being hit by something.

I have put a camera up to see if we can catch what it is and the timings, but I have only ever seen rabbits on it, I will go back later in the week to get the results from that.

So the question is, what would bite through maize but then to bother to eat it? unless of course whatever it is only interested in one part of the plant

IMAG4245 (Medium).jpg

IMAG4246 (Medium).jpg

The estate I help out on is teeming with hare. Am I right that hare was protected at one point or had a game season anyway ??

So what changed and why ?

They have a season and very glad they do.

20 years ago they were very scare here but their numbers are superbly high now and hopefully it stays so.

If it is cut down very low it could be a daddy long legs / crane fly they lay eggs in the ground they hatch out as leather jackets they also like young brassica cabbage cauliflower ect if you see a plant eaten that is reasonable fresh you can dig down and catch the little blighter right time of year . They like spuds as well