Duplicating Eley Lightning steel

Unless anyone knows different ssb150 is sourced direct from Eley in commercial drums, then decanted for sale to joe public so there may be some mileage in trying ( proof test it) bear in mind just because the website says its ssb dont make it so, lots of powder look very similar.

As above or copy Gamebores load, I think it's a bit smoother to shoot.

When are we going to get a 3" bb load from manufacturers. Some make them like NSI but they're not brought in by the importer. I even thought about opening some lightnings and swapping the no1 shot for bb but been told it's a no no.

As above or copy Gamebores load, I think it's a bit smoother to shoot.

When are we going to get a 3" bb load from manufacturers. Some make them like NSI but they're not brought in by the importer. I even thought about opening some lightnings and swapping the no1 shot for bb but been told it's a no no.

Baschieri & pellagri have a 3" bb

Pellets are 4mm te same as gamabore mammoth nr 1 also 4mm

The Lightning steel is advertised to do 1650 fps, on Johnnytheboys's tests it came out at 1373 fps and others say it does not reach the advertised velocity.

On the Maxam website they have load data for 36gram steel using SSB 150 powder and that is supposed to reach 1312 fps at 9500psi so that is reasonably close, so that is probably the Lightning steel load.

I am just trying find a load that is cheaper and easier to source the components than using hard to find Alliant Steel powder

Guest cookoff013

What's stopping you using a lead powered for 36g loads for steel?

with the lead powders, getting good speeds out of them is the issue, alliant steel and other slow burning powders have been developed to produce high speed levels while giving low breech pressures.

thats the key.

infact lead 32g powders can get 25g of steel fast.

edit in red

Edited by cookoff013

I don't see what's the problem to copycat the lightning steel using SSB 150 and test it first providing you can get more or less the same components and the exact same crimp height you should have a reasonable picture of how your powder performs vs factory, then should be able to adjust.

I am not convinced that lead powders cannot get to certain speeds ... the problem here is that you don't get as many lead powder as the market has to offer ... or they are pretty expensive....

With SP2 (add 20 m/s to make V0)

12/76 cx2000 2,75 x 32 #1 B&P steel 32 @ 58,5 --- V1 452 m/s PMax: 753 bar

12/76 cx2000 2,72 x 34 #3 Gualandi Tubo 43 @58,2 --- V1 498 pm 793

and with M92S

12/70 cx2000 2,15 x 35 #3 B&P Steel 28 @ 57,8 --- V1 446, PMax 980 bar
12/70 cx2000 2,10 x 35 #3 B&P Steel 28 @ 57,8 --- V1 440, PMax 940 bar
These have been tested a good couple of years ago so, powder batches will have changed (for those still toy around with M92S :lol: )
Cheers,

Still don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of trying to copy Eley steel!

If there are loads that you have that you would recommend over the Lightning steel loads could you either send me the data on them or put it on the forum.

And i will load some up.

Thanks...james

Guest cookoff013

Clay & Game have some load data for SSB+150, they have a 12 gauge 3 inch 36 gram load that does 1335fps/7500psi. Pressure seems a bit low suggest you email them and confirm. I don't use this powder so no results of my own.

7000psi with a slow burning powder? Something sounds fishy. Might be awful in the cold?