Big Butchers Chopper?

Lampwick

post-19094-0-46670800-1498666368_thumb.jpgI picked up a couple of these and a nice old cleaver (W Gilpin) at an auction recently.

I've had a bit of a trawl around the web but cant find much about them.

Do any of you have any ideas regarding age and what they are actually called? The shoe brush is for scale!

Cheers

post-19094-0-93102800-1498665330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lampwick

I wouldn't want to use those all day without a handle.

Yep, think its not the finished product, a meat cleaver that size would need a handle.

:lol:

Well if the shoe brush is 5" long that would make the large cleaver about 21/2 to 3 foot long

Pure conjecture but given the size and the hook shape on the end perhaps something industrial with the hook to go around an axle type mount? Seen similar things at a belt factory chopping leather to length and driven up and down on cams?

Or automated beheading that never caught on?

It should be re-introduced!

They would be used for cutting bodies of beef in 1/2 before electric saws. I have used one but it was quite some time ago, the huge electric counter balance saw broke down so out came the backup. Lol

Circa 1900s

Edited by Dougy

They would be used for cutting bodies of beef in 1/2 before electric saws. I have used one but it was quite some time ago, the huge electric counter balance saw broke down so out came the backup. Lol

Circa 1900s

saw them being used in norwich slaughterhouse in the early 1970's when the agricultural college went on the visit.........its as DOUGY says....think they are so big as you dont need a lot of heft when splitting the spine on a steer, as the split needs to be accurate.........

saw them being used in norwich slaughterhouse in the early 1970's when the agricultural college went on the visit.........its as DOUGY says....think they are so big as you dont need a lot of heft when splitting the spine on a steer, as the split needs to be accurate.........

Cheers, they are pretty weighty I'm sure once brought down from a height they would take a big of stopping!

attachicon.gifIMG_0207 (1).JPGI picked up a couple of these and a nice old cleaver (W Gilpin) at an auction recently.

I've had a bit of a trawl around the web but cant find much about them.

Do any of you have any ideas regarding age and what they are actually called? The shoe brush is for scale!

Cheers

Just seen exact one of these on tv and thought i had seen one on here,now i have found the post.

If you fast forward through the film to 34 minutes till the survivors regroup and the guy out of the kitchen throws this huge chopper (yours),the film Centurion.

Just seen exact one of these on tv and thought i had seen one on here,now i have found the post.

If you fast forward through the film to 34 minutes till the survivors regroup and the guy out of the kitchen throws this huge chopper (yours),the film Centurion.

It's famous!!!