deactivated guns.

viking

does any one collect or have a few deactivated guns, im thinking about starting a small collection, deactivated, replicas,shotguns,rifles,pistols and the old flintlocks look nice to,might eben look at machine guns too, just seen a nice bren gun :lol: just for my office at home, or should i say, the room i get sent to what iv been naughty :lol:

i think first on the list would have to be the AK-47.

what have you got guys and where is the best place to look for them :good::good:

and before anyone asks WHY? the answer is simple, because. :whistling:

Edited by viking

Careful.

The new legislation on these means they've got to be welded solid & have the magazines fixed in place.

If you get offered any that can be cocked or stripped they're earlier spec. I.e. Ok to retain ownership of, but illegal to buy, sell, advertise, give away, etc. (As you don't own earlier spec. you can only get new spec.)

Laws may change again post-EU exit as the new rules are EU legislation.

Careful.

The new legislation on these means they've got to be welded solid & have the magazines fixed in place.

If you get offered any that can be cocked or stripped they're earlier spec. I.e. Ok to retain ownership of, but illegal to buy, sell, advertise, give away, etc. (As you don't own earlier spec. you can only get new spec.)

Laws may change again post-EU exit as the new rules are EU legislation.

This is gutting. I have several classics including Lee Enfields etc which can pretty much be stripped down. Not being able to do this would massively ruin the experience of ownership.

does any one collect or have a few deactivated guns, im thinking about starting a small collection, deactivated, replicas,shotguns,rifles,pistols and the old flintlocks look nice to,might eben look at machine guns too, just seen a nice bren gun :lol: just for my office at home, or should i say, the room i get sent to what iv been naughty :lol:

i think first on the list would have to be the AK-47.

what have you got guys and where is the best place to look for them :good::good:

and before anyone asks WHY? the answer is simple, because. :whistling:

Shame I didn't see this a week ago, my mate has just handed in a deactivated AK47 that he received when he left the paras he also had a deactivated draganov sniper rifle as well, both just handed to the local police station as he just wanted rid of them...

Shame I didn't see this a week ago, my mate has just handed in a deactivated AK47 that he received when he left the paras he also had a deactivated draganov sniper rifle as well, both just handed to the local police station as he just wanted rid of them...

He'd have had to pay for additional deactivation work & re-submitted them for a new proof certificate & stamp before he could legally even give them away for free.

Hope he kept the scope & stock.

Still worth money to the guys with these guns on FAC

the only time i have seen de-activated guns and liked the idea was.....the time i was in someones house and in the sittingroom was a glasstopped coffee table which was suported on 2 Vickers machine guns on tripods......

apart from that ...i see de-acts pointless...........

When I was 16 I started collection of militarily bayonets shells helmets then saw you coud collect smooth bore rifles if the barrel was 24inches and over so got my s g l started to collect them I had a bout 25 smooth bores with bayonets you coud have Bren gun if the selector was welded in single shot and the same whith the b a r , you coud Fire blanks In them , then Michael Ryan put the the end to it I coud not afford to have the mags welded and pinend to hold two cartridges it did not make sence because they where not in four ten they had to go shame some nice stuff k 98 3 types of 303 , France Mexico Italy Spain Japanese Belgium a Canadian Ross that's the ones I can rember if I find the photos will post

I've had a few deacts over the years, and back then most were worth having as you could field strip them and to a greater or lesser extent they would cycle.

I got rid of them some time ago; I don't think modern day deacts are even now worthy of the name 'wall hanger'.

If you want a Collection worth having there are still plenty of obsolete calibre and antique status firearms around, but of course they aren't cheap.

A way around this can be to collect smooth bored "rifles" on shotgun certificate.

As long as the magazine is restricted to two shot they're SGC items. Some are bored out to .410 & a lot in original chambering.

Better than welded up boat anchors!

Magazines need to be fixed (welded .)

So... I own an Ak47S with the underfolding stock. Its not a really early deact, it doesn't cock or dry fire but it does strip down and have removeable mag etc. I even have it filled with dummy rounds. I have deact cert for it but under this new legislation I cannot even give it away? Nice way to wipe out the value. Some people have huge collections that were worth thousands and are now worthless unless deactivated again at great cost??

Do you honestly believe that 'exit' means a withdrawal from current legislation of no further restrictions ???

The UK had it's own set of laws on deactivation - these new ones were largely part to the more lax (by comparison) EU laws on deacts - plus the ease with which some major component/replacement parts can be bought in the EU

So in contrast you think the UK will NOT bin primary EU legislation?

I can't see why they would repeal any current legislation, which would be seen as a retrograde step to current controls on deac'sy

The rule change was for a reason- stop silly ******* being easily able to reverse the process.

It wasn't any UK deacts that had been an issue on the continent. ...it was EU spec ones.

I thought ALL EU legislation was being undone; otherwise why cut the apron strings?

It wasn't any UK deacts that had been an issue on the continent. ...it was EU spec ones.

I thought ALL EU legislation was being undone; otherwise why cut the apron strings?

My understanding was that the vast bulk was being copied and pasted into UK legislation bar stuff with the political value to be an exception. Anything shooting related i suspect will be insufficiently important to merit any if the very limited time available.

You honestly believe that come March 2019 or whenever things are finalised that we will repeal all current laws and adopt a specific set of UK ones?

The timeframe for a start is too short, the disharmony between what we have and possibly desire is not great enough for major changes and of course the old adage will apply to many many of the thousands of laws and that is --- if it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

Regarding shooting, you think the same magic wand that Jezzer promised me my Pink unicorn is going to be once again waved and hey presto, all current adaptations will cease- besides we are not aligned at all regarding the way we are licensed/restricted.

Take some trips to the continent and check out what's possible then see if you think the EU has placed stringent restrictions on the UK hunting scene....

I was actually going to write a detailed piece on it- or should I say my son was as he is a third year law student and both understands and explains it better ( although you might have fallen asleep by the time he has finished going into detail)

The new laws make it a no no to sell, give away or lend etc a pre new legislation deac, there is no offence on the buyers part just the sellers. There was no need for the new laws on deacs as they are less robust than our previous specs as it is now difficult/impossible to check the deac work as they are all welded shut. The police and proof houses didn't like the new specs and were happy with the old specs, I know this as I know one of the people that was involved with the new legislation.

I had something in the region of £50,000 in them in the deacs and accessories but thanks to these laws I either keep them until I die or spend in the region of £100 each getting them re deactivated but as I have in the region of 45 of them this is going to cost a fair few bob. :unhappy:

The one bright point is that it is an offence to sell the old specs within the EU, once we are out they should be OK again. Another gem was the sale of hi capacity mags, they wanted to make them section 5 but they seem to have dropped that now but added if you have a FAC and a high cap mag then it could cost you your FAC. So if you have a Lee Enfield on section 1 and an AK mag in the house you better get rid of the AK mag! Makes perfect sense to me and I must say I am going to sleep much better in my bed now :/

Here is a pic or 2 of some of my collection

014.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg