Ripoff freezer contents insurance

novice cushie shooter

My freezer in the garage packed in on Sunday, it was my game and fish freezer and am devastated. Phoned insurers on Monday 1St thing, got a switch board and was told I would get phoned within 1 working day, no call on Tuesday so I phoned back on Wed lunchtime to be told she would contact the claims team and make it a priority! Eventually got a call today to be told that my contents are worth £100 and excess is £200 and they didnt even ask what the contents were. Unless I have photographic proof of contents they wont budge. Am in those whats the point moods now.

You wouldn't even get half a dozen legs of British lamb and a couple of joints of beef for 100 quid let alone fill your freezer!.......itemise what was in there work out the cost to replace it and send bill to the insurers.... does the insurance cover just contents or the loss of the freezer too?..... if they do not settle ask them to advise you on the appeal process?

Was just the contents. I was asked what shop I shopped at and I said sainsburys or aldi and she then told me that it would only be covered for £100 and my excess is 200. I said it was my game and fish freezer and most could not be bought in a supermarket. I didnt think to take photos at the time as I only noticed before heading to do a nightshift and it was already a bit pongy.

Was it a specific policy taken out just for that?

I'd report that, if they only ever pay out £100 and the excess is always £200 then that's a scam.

Did you not check that before taking it out?

Was covered as part of my house insurance. I said it had 4 drawers and only one had a small bit space so it was never going to be worth more than what the excess was even if it was all waitrose food I never really checked the additional cover parts you get.

You wouldn't even get half a dozen legs of British lamb and a couple of joints of beef for 100 quid let alone fill your freezer!.......itemise what was in there work out the cost to replace it and send bill to the insurers.... does the insurance cover just contents or the loss of the freezer too?..... if they do not settle ask them to advise you on the appeal process?

Good idea but its been hard enough getting in touch with them regarding this, I wont be renewing in August thats for sure.

It's pretty low of them, doesn't take much to spend 100 on food, why don't you inventory the items to the best of your knowledge and submit? Does your policy have a limit for freezer contents? If not then I would contact the insurers and ask to submit a complaint and that you feel they are not treating customers fairly and you will submit your complaint to FOS if not resolved. If your policy does have a limit of 100 pounds and it's clearly stated then you have no recourse.

It's pretty low of them, doesn't take much to spend 100 on food, why don't you inventory the items to the best of your knowledge and submit? Does your policy have a limit for freezer contents? If not then I would contact the insurers and ask to submit a complaint and that you feel they are not treating customers fairly and you will submit your complaint to FOS if not resolved. If your policy does have a limit of 100 pounds and it's clearly stated then you have no recourse.

I can't see how the policy can legally have a limit of £100 to claim but an excess of £200.

It basically might as well not exist so how can they advertise it?

Our freezer went wrong whith a power cut came back off holiday the contents in the freezer was no good phoned nation wide who we have insurance whith , no problems sir just write down what you have lost it worked out a bout 350 pounds they evan asked if I needed a new freezer I said no it s working now we had a cheque ten days later. That was three years a go , we was inpressed

Thanks for the input gents,I already had a list but she wasnt interest she wanted to know how full it was and where I done my shopping. I will email them with my grievances and lists. There was no limit on the value of frozen goods. She calculated where I had done my shopping and how full my freezer was

Thanks for the input gents,I already had a list but she wasnt interest she wanted to know how full it was and where I done my shopping. I will email them with my grievances and lists. There was no limit on the value of frozen goods. She calculated where I had done my shopping and how full my freezer was

That is not treating customers fairly, I really don't see how they behave in this manner

I can't see how the policy can legally have a limit of £100 to claim but an excess of £200.

It basically might as well not exist so how can they advertise it?

Who/what is the insurer? Who is underwriting this policy? Surely the ombudsman must have guidelines. Only you know your losses and you must have submitted the value of the loss. How can you claim when you don't know what you are claiming for? I'm not taking sides but if you dumped the goods without taking pictures how can you prove what you are claiming for?

Who/what is the insurer? Who is underwriting this policy? Surely the ombudsman must have guidelines. Only you know your losses and you must have submitted the value of the loss. How can you claim when you don't know what you are claiming for? I'm not taking sides but if you dumped the goods without taking pictures how can you prove what you are claiming for?

Policy expert underwritten by trinity I think.i submitted no value to them I wasnt given the opportunity I was asked two questions as above thats it. I cant prove anything. A broken freezer but that means squat. I agree there is no proof. I have receipts for stalks etc thats it and photos of shoot bags and fish Ive caught. It all boils down to being open and honest and not having claimed for much in the past.

Often in any insurance qualms the policy holder hasn't bothered reading the policy he/she has taken out!

This insurer may have something in their policy which states that without proof etc, they have a maximum payout!

Obviously excess levels vary, so in this case it could be just hard luck that the excess has exceeded the payout amount.

I doubt very much the insurer will be selling policies with £100 payout and £200 excess, the Ombudsman would have something to say about that.

Theres a six foot freezer in the garage a four footer in the shed both are brim full with stuff for us my dogs and ferrets i havent seen a field for a year due to my busted knee i would just like to say thanks to good genuine mates . And one pal went and got the six footer and dropped it off at 11 pm at night a week later there was enough stuff dropped off to fill it my neighbours must dread the dark nights round my house :lol::lol::lol: . Dont know if its my age etc but if my freezer broke i dont think claiming would enter my head i would just move on

I have deleted my post and others linking to it.....

As for Elvis The Pelvis calling my late mother a selfish **** hole....

Noted!

She was 69 when she passed and had paid insurance all her life without ever claiming so I think she was due a bit back, it wasn't s huge amount, less than £100

:shaun:

Theres a six foot freezer in the garage a four footer in the shed both are brim full with stuff for us my dogs and ferrets i havent seen a field for a year due to my busted knee i would just like to say thanks to good genuine mates . And one pal went and got the six footer and dropped it off at 11 pm at night a week later there was enough stuff dropped off to fill it my neighbours must dread the dark nights round my house :lol::lol::lol: . Dont know if its my age etc but if my freezer broke i dont think claiming would enter my head i would just move on

I agree

Not worth the mither and the policy price going up next year!!!!!!! stuff happens, its not a car or TV etc

Flynny

Many insurance policies are just a rip off. Which you find out only when you make a claim. Our dog insurance was a bit like that.

On a work related forum I am on there was a long running thread about problems people had found making claims on their business public liability policies. In the end it got to asking if anybody had actually made a claim that was upheld.

Edited by Vince Green