Any dental technicians on here ?

ditchman

I've have a very good friend who is a non polish dentist if you want me to ask him?

i have several gaps in my tooth layout ..upper jaw...when i had just one tooth missing my dentist insisted on making up a false one....no probs i thought....but what he did was to make one up and mounted it in a bloody great "plate" which filled the roof of my mouth ...to such an extent i had to take it out cause people couldnt understand what i was saying ...it affected my speech so much......

now that i have several gaps its becoming more and more difficult to eat....aaannnnd....ive developed a bloody lisp.....which some members of our community might find rather fetching....but i bloody dont, cause im not like that.....

what i feel is that i need is some sort of bridge...(the teeth that are left are sound enough to anchor a bridge)

QUESTION.....

am i allowed to choose what sort of dental appliance i have.....(i dont pay)..?

It says this on the NHS website, so it appears bridges are available on the NHS and would be a band 3 charge.

This is a guide to the main treatments carried out by dentists. Some are readily available on the NHS, while some may only be available on the NHS in certain circumstances.

As with glasses and prescription costs, you have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your NHS dental treatment. The cost depends on the type of treatment and which cost band the treatment is covered by.

With the exception of teeth whitening and implants, the treatments on this page are usually available on the NHS.

Find out more about NHS dental charges.

Always ask your dentist whether the treatment they're recommending is available on the NHS and how much it will cost before you go ahead.

Bridges

A bridge is a fixed replacement for a missing tooth or teeth. It's made by taking an impression of the surrounding teeth, which will eventually support the bridge. A bridge is usually created from precious metal and porcelain and will be fixed in your mouth (unlike dentures, which can be removed).

i have several gaps in my tooth layout ..upper jaw...when i had just one tooth missing my dentist insisted on making up a false one....no probs i thought....but what he did was to make one up and mounted it in a bloody great "plate" which filled the roof of my mouth ...to such an extent i had to take it out cause people couldnt understand what i was saying ...it affected my speech so much......

now that i have several gaps its becoming more and more difficult to eat....aaannnnd....ive developed a bloody lisp.....which some members of our community might find rather fetching....but i bloody dont, cause im not like that.....

what i feel is that i need is some sort of bridge...(the teeth that are left are sound enough to anchor a bridge)

QUESTION.....

Some people may say that not being able to understand what you are saying is a good improvement boom boom sorry but it had to be said. :whistling:

Surely the first step is find a dentist who understands English.

huh thats easier than you think...at the norwich practice....11 out of the 12 are imports...............and i cant change cause the NHS quotas on other practices are all full..........

QUESTION.....

I had another 2 teeth extracted last Friday by a Polish dentist and he was very good, the last couple I had out last year gave me a whistle/lisp but it soon went :lol:

You just have to chew your steak slowly :good:

Had a different dentist everytime i visited (tooth booth),couldn't understand any of them all foriegn students and the inspections usually took 13 seconds,yes i timed them.Said to the receptionist it would save us both time if you just have a quick look in my mouth and i give you £20.

Changed dentist now,much better.

Ditchy - smoker !

I now use a Dental Technician Lab. Not the run of the mill labs who mass produce for dentists, but one where the technician has done the extra training and is qualified and insured to put his/her hands in your mouth (no jokes please).

I chose this route because IMHO and experience there is the possibility of misunderstanding between the dentist and the lab and what is produced does not exactly meet client needs. By dealing direct with the Dental Technician I was able to discuss my needs with the person who was actually going to make the plates. I had a number of moulds and fittings including the exact positioning of the teeth until we were both happy with the end product.

The upside of this approach is that I was problem free and comfortable from the outset. The downside is that I carried the full cost of the work. But, if you are not NHS patient then at least you cut out the cost of the dentist.

A bridge is now considered to be not a great option as it requires for the teeth either side of the gap to be "damaged" or cut to provide support for the tooth filling the gap.

It would be unlikely that you would find a dentist to do this work on the NHS due to the cost of the lab work required, privately it would cost about £1k.

If you shop around and if you are suitable then implants are the way forward at about £1.5k per tooth but probably get a deal on multiples . From memory a guy in Southend advertises for about £1k as he does it all day every day so can go at this rate. Average should be around £2k

In terms of value, implants will last longer and so work out cheaper as long as you look after your teeth .

Currently Europeans account for 20% of NHS dentistry delivered in England so high chance you will see one particularly in the more rural areas. Also known as the webbed fingered areas ; )

Not a dentist I just have an understanding of the sector and in the same boat so heading for a couple myself.

I've just had 4 dental implants fitted (screw in false teeth) fitted in the front bottom jaw as I couldn't get away with a pallet it was a long expensive process but worth it in the end they are just like real teeth.

Cheers

Tom

I had some work done a long while ago by a Spanish girl, not really sure the work needed doing and had to have it re done, but my word she was a stunner, could have removed half my teeth and I would still have been smiling 😊

i have had to have a four tooth bridge done as a double crown i had snapped of when big labrador jumped over fence as i was picking spaniel up over fence and smashed me in face a couple of repair jobs refixing wouldnt work so a four tooth bridge on top jaw required £1700 later then i find out parasites who live in spain who yoused to live in village need £2100 dental treatment come back to uk and get done free of charge on n.h.c work that one out