cctv wiring

activeviii

swann 4 camera to 500mb hard drive.

just bought one as fed up of people snooping and things going missing around the house. they pull up outside and walk up to house and if its not bolted it goes. other morning wife notices someone been in her car and helped themselves, im sure i locked it, this is the 3rd time this has happened.

so i bought cctv. piece of mind for the wife more than anything. probably will make no difference but it all helps. i have one spare one camera that i'm putting facing the door of the gun room. so it records people going in the area. more than likely make not a difference but every little helps i guess.

right. all wiring is going into loft. i have a power supply in there so i will terminate the 12v there and put new 3.5mm jacks on and plug them in there. if i can find a 12v transformer i will hard wire them in and do it that way.

problem i have is my modem in down back of house and i want the unit plugged into the net so i can view on phones, tablets or any pc connected to the net. i have to run 4x rg59 down the back of house and into the downstairs. no one can get to it so its not getting cut but you will see the 4 wires and in the heat and cold they will all sag and look pants over time. i want to do it once and be done.

22mm trunking will look pants as well.

is there a rg59, or similar, that is double shotgun. twin Siamese as we use to call the cable tv rg6. im looking for suggestions on how to do this, from loft to downstairs, on outside, south facing. into back of tv and cable modem. its the wires im wanting neat.

What about a wireless bridge, put a router (capable of wireless bridging) by you DVR in the loft and connect it via wifi to your modem. No wires!!

i really wanted it so i could veiw on the big tv rather than the pc, pc was more of a back up really but i could do that i guess.

sorry didn't realize. what about cctv over cat 5 cable you would still need a power feed not sure the length of cable you can run 12v through.you could have power at camera.

some info here and more.

Edited by HAYBURN

Activeviii, I work in comms cabling and do a fair bit of cctv. Shotgun cables with 2 x matching cables are usually manufactured for systems where you'd have 2 x devices next to each other. As this usually isn't the case with cctv I'm not sure you'd be able to get your hands on some very easily, I've not seen it before, but that said I've not specifically looked for it either. There will be loads of shotgun coax/power cables so just watch out you don't buy that by mistake. If it's for neatness of installation have you considered some cable socking/rigid conduit/flexible conduit down the back of the house?

Edited by Jonty

I have a CCTV system and one of the weaknesses of it all is that it is all after the horse has bolted. What I need is some sort of movement/person intruder warning so that we can look up at the monitor screen when things are happening. Things have happened like someone backed into the garden fence at about 6 o'clock whilst we were eating. We didn't know that this had happened until I noticed a fence post on the front lawn next morning when it was light and I opened the curtains. Another was identifing who's stray dog was offloading in our garden. We knew what was happening but could never catch the blighter to put the hose on it. If we had a warning signal the Mrs would be out there like a 22.250. if it was me I'd have a chat to the hound and advise it to go and offload in one of the neighbours gardens.

If you go down the IP (Internet protocol) camera route (Ethernet cabled/wireless) rather than the coax based cctv cameras it's relatively straightforward to set up an email alert on motion detection for not that much money. With a little more time and effort you can even use facial recognition so that it doesn't email you every time the wife or kids nip out to take a dump on the lawn so you can be sure to catch next doors dog at it

Your wife may well have locked it. Our cars were regularly unlocked in the morning, and my wife and i both swore we locke dit. then one night 8 cars in out street were unlocked, they were capturing the keycodes with a device, I clocked the guy doing it and while the police never got him....he was caught up with by one of the other car owners!! Little bastid!!

If you go down the IP (Internet protocol) camera route (Ethernet cabled/wireless) rather than the coax based cctv cameras it's relatively straightforward to set up an email alert on motion detection for not that much money. With a little more time and effort you can even use facial recognition so that it doesn't email you every time the wife or kids nip out to take a dump on the lawn so you can be sure to catch next doors dog at it

I've managed to train my wife and kids to not 'dump on the lawn'