.17HMR Cleaning rod

ikerrison

Hi all,

I am looking for a cleaning rod/kit for my .17hmr. I know there is a lot of debate regarding to clean or not to clean but I always clean after every outing and my current pull through is really not that great. Please let me know if you have any thing for sale or recommendations of where to look and what to buy.

Thanks

Ian

PM/e-mail replied to. No secret, it was this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISLEY-AIR-GUN-RIFLE-RIMFIRE-HMR-177-CLEANING-KIT-BRASS-ROD-BRUSH-WOOL-MOP-/232210500660

They're only a tenner new and you'd get it quicker from them than from me, with a guarantee too.

Worth saying that whether you clean or not, having a set of rods on you when out in the field is invaluable in case of a squib round, which the HMR seems to be susceptible to. Was shooting mine today, as it happens and noticed that some of the cases had split on the shoulder afterwards. Didn't affect the accuracy so not worried.

Edited by spandit

Source a bore snake. Far less damaging than a rod. They are available, I have one for my 17 Rem which I use of the 17HMR.

I purchased mine whilst in the USA but if you go on Brownells, Cabelas, sites they will ship one for you if you cannot get one here.

No good for removing a stuck bullet in the field, though!

Source a bore snake. Far less damaging than a rod. They are available, I have one for my 17 Rem which I use of the 17HMR.I purchased mine whilst in the USA but if you go on Brownells, Cabelas, sites they will ship one for you if you cannot get one here.

Cheers guys, I have a bore snake but really struggle to get it through the barrel without a "bit of assistance" which I am worried will damage the barrel more than a decent rod? Have been looking at some carbon rods but they are a touch pricey but probably cheaper than scoring the barrel?

PM/e-mail replied to. No secret, it was this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BISLEY-AIR-GUN-RIFLE-RIMFIRE-HMR-177-CLEANING-KIT-BRASS-ROD-BRUSH-WOOL-MOP-/232210500660

They're only a tenner new and you'd get it quicker from them than from me, with a guarantee too.

Worth saying that whether you clean or not, having a set of rods on you when out in the field is invaluable in case of a squib round, which the HMR seems to be susceptible to. Was shooting mine today, as it happens and noticed that some of the cases had split on the shoulder afterwards. Didn't affect the accuracy so not worried.

Cheers Spandit,

What rounds are you using as I use the 17g hornady which really work well through my CZ. My mate has purchased some cheaper Federal's which are accurate but do seem to split around the neck of the round, thankfully nothing stuck in the barrel yet.

Ian