Quad copter, Drone advice

countryman

After watching various people with these on YouTube I think I would like to give it a go. I used to fly nitro Helis a few years ago with a camera strapped on to it, not good. What would you recommend to start with. I was thinking of a Hudson for around £230 new. I have no idea if these are a good start or not.

Thanks

Chris.

Do you mean hubsan, if so i am selling my hubsan h501 s i have upgraded my is about 4 months old, the most important thing is to do you compass calibrations right get it of the ground about 10 feet. make sure it is nice and stable and holding GPS, if all good go higher. but take baby steps till you get used to the controls, if it gets to far or high, they have a switch called "return to home " it comes back itself, battery life around 15 minutes flight time so need a few batteries.

For maximum enjoyment and technical gratitude, I'll advise that you build one from scratch. Well worth the effort and there's a lot of learning (sometimes a bit of frustration) to be had.

People these days are just buying drones off the shelves and have no idea what's inside them or why they fly the way they do with the gains and PID settings. The worst bit is the influx of commercial operators who haven't got a clue either, it's scary!

Kits are cheap and you can get a small drone in the air for under £200 and about half a day of soldering and bench work. Let me know if you want some links to kits.

Whichever route you go down, please remember that there are laws which every drone operator needs to abide by, even if it's 'just a toy'.

For maximum enjoyment and technical gratitude, I'll advise that you build one from scratch. Well worth the effort and there's a lot of learning (sometimes a bit of frustration) to be had.

People these days are just buying drones off the shelves and have no idea what's inside them or why they fly the way they do with the gains and PID settings. The worst bit is the influx of commercial operators who haven't got a clue either, it's scary!

Kits are cheap and you can get a small drone in the air for under £200 and about half a day of soldering and bench work. Let me know if you want some links to kits.

Whichever route you go down, please remember that there are laws which every drone operator needs to abide by, even if it's 'just a toy'.

this might be a daft question , but could i mount my thermal spotter onto a drone ? , that could be great fun .

this might be a daft question , but could i mount my thermal spotter onto a drone ? , that could be great fun .

It's possible to lift almost any camera system, you just need a drone capable of lifting a given weight and a gimbal to keep it steady. The next issue is getting a video feed back to the ground, as some devices aren't keen on remote command and control.

Personally, I doubt you'll see much. The noise from a drone will do a good enough job of scaring off anything you're planning on seeing.

Oh and if you're flying at night, you will need a licence.

Edited by Billy.

It's possible to lift almost any camera system, you just need a drone capable of lifting a given weight and a gimbal to keep it steady. The next issue is getting a video feed back to the ground, as some devices aren't keen on remote command and control.

Personally, I doubt you'll see much. The noise from a drone will do a good enough job of scaring off anything you're planning on seeing.

Oh and if you're flying at night, you will need a licence.

well thats piddled on my chips lol.

I have witnessed a drone being flown 15-20m above a herd of red deer and they didnt give a fig

My guess was that he wasn't planning to spot and shoot deer at night. I too have seen deer either not care, or have some interest in a nearby drone.

I wouldnt be shooting them at night , but it would be fantastic to know where they are on the land. A thermal can also be used in daylight and i just thought that youd be able to see much more from a drone.

I wouldnt be shooting them at night , but it would be fantastic to know where they are on the land. A thermal can also be used in daylight and i just thought that youd be able to see much more from a drone.

You certainly get the aerial advantage. I was guessing you'd be looking for foxes, which a lot of people have asked me about...!

Thats the one , arial advantage . Thermal can only see things in your line of sight , i was thinkig that when mounted onto a drone , it would see down into valleys and other dips in the land.

Mind you , its all pretty irrelevant for me , because id never be able to figure out how to fly a drone.

A friend of mine, retired BTP, bought a quality drone with his retirement payout, he has mounted thermal imaging to in in the hope to contract out to search and rescue and police forces instead of them getting the chopper up. It seems a sensible way to search river banks and the likes for missing people.

A friend of mine, retired BTP, bought a quality drone with his retirement payout, he has mounted thermal imaging to in in the hope to contract out to search and rescue and police forces instead of them getting the chopper up. It seems a sensible way to search river banks and the likes for missing people.

Yeah the thermal cameras which are designed for drones need a small lottery win to afford them. It's certainly something which S&R teams are using, but the big issue for those who bought the thermal cameras for their drones also needed to sign a non export agreement, which stops you using your equipment outside of the UK.

Had a lengthy chat with a distributor and the issue is that thermal equipment is either heavily regulated or illegal to import without a licence into most countries. So people are finding that their drones are leashed to the UK only and can't go and help out in disaster situations...

If your friend has a licence and is still looking for work, then it's worth recommending pitching his services to use on solar farms, as they need thermal inspections and it's usually quite difficult to do from the ground.