Pea Time

muncher

I spoke to Motty on the phone and the usual conversation took place ,have you found any? Motty has been busy at work and hadn't had much time to go scouting and I have several laid barley fields in productive areas but no pigeons on any one of them. Then by chance a farmer rang me and told me that his pea stubble was quite busy with pigeons ,so I went for a look and thought that it would probably produce about 30 plus as there were birds scattered over four fields. Saturday morning I went for a look around and found nothing so at around half ten I went to the pea fields and watched for about half an hour and thought, nothing about I will go home. Motty came to mine and after coffee and a chat decided to have another look at those pea stubbles to find a few birds down.

We set up with a rotary to our right and the wind at our backs against a tall hedge, we didn't have any dead birds so Mottys hyper flaps had to do the business and not to long later a pair came in and we had one each to put on the rotary. Slowly birds came in and were very wary but some came close enough to give us a chance and we slowly added another rotary on our left hand side and a flapper seemed to help bring them in a bit better but many veered off at the critical moment making the task more difficult . Pigeons started to come in from both sides and to be honest our shooting was quite poor at times and the pair of us had to calm each other down as we got grumpy with our poor display. We decide to pack up around half five as Motty had a hair appointment, so the last hour we tried to pull back the quality of the shooting and we did manage to pull it together, IMG_20170701_180534571_zpskums77wy.jpgwe picked up 105 and 1 Jackdaw ,not bad for a day I thought would be a slow afternoon with me mate chewing the fat.

Nice honest report , and there we were thinking these boys never miss and then you report you both shot poor at times and only managed 105 , it happens to us all , although most of us don't end up with 105 after a off day :lol:

Your pea stubble looks like its been there for a few days , when were they vined ?

Talking to the farm manager today , he recon they could start combining the barley as early as the end of next week , a good ten days earlier than normal.

Never imagined you as the vain type motty!

Great result in the end and goes to show you can't dismiss a pea stubble when it has dried up and there is seamingly no food there. JDog and i shot a similar bag on similar ground a couple of years ago.

Jules, you are a ****!

Gentleman/ladies, I had a 50th birthday party to attend.

We did shoot like a couple of tossers at times, but we did shoot a few good birds. The birds were reluctant to commit fully, but we should have done better.

Thanks for a great day, Jules. You really have a gift for underestimating the potential of fields just lately!

You really don't look it. What's the secret?

Jules, you are a ****!

Gentleman/ladies, I had a 50th birthday party to attend.

We did shoot like a couple of tossers at times, but we did shoot a few good birds. The birds were reluctant to commit fully, but we should have done better.

Thanks for a great day, Jules. You really have a gift for underestimating the potential of fields just lately!