Jump to content
kaunda

" Manipulator" decoys

Recommended Posts

Well I've finally decided to have a go at making an "Enticer" so watch this space.

I note the need for an extension, I also feel that being manually operated it will be lighter, it will also be ready to use in 2 minutes after setting up the hide and pattern. Precludes the need for a dead bird and only needs to be pulled/spun when birds are approaching your pattern.

For the small amount of effort it will be worth a try.

Off to the workshop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I've finally decided to have a go at making an "Enticer" so watch this space.

I note the need for an extension, I also feel that being manually operated it will be lighter, it will also be ready to use in 2 minutes after setting up the hide and pattern. Precludes the need for a dead bird and only needs to be pulled/spun when birds are approaching your pattern.

For the small amount of effort it will be worth a try.

Off to the workshop!

Any lightening of our load is always worth considering TC.

Go on then, get in that workshop and start manufacturing. We look forward to seeing the result.

Don't keep us in suspense :good:

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I've finally decided to have a go at making an "Enticer" so watch this space.

I note the need for an extension, I also feel that being manually operated it will be lighter, it will also be ready to use in 2 minutes after setting up the hide and pattern. Precludes the need for a dead bird and only needs to be pulled/spun when birds are approaching your pattern.

For the small amount of effort it will be worth a try.

Off to the workshop!

hello Dave, let us know how you get on, 

hello, i am sure you could alter a Air Pro decoy to a spinning one rather than relying on the wind  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I know what to do with the 2 sets of foam wings n tails and remote controler that I have kicking about, but definitely a leccy remote controlled version. TO THE SHED ! TO THE SHED !  AND GOD BLESS ENGLAND !!!!! 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deny essex said:

Now I know what to do with the 2 sets of foam wings n tails and remote controler that I have kicking about, but definitely a leccy remote controlled version. TO THE SHED ! TO THE SHED !  AND GOD BLESS ENGLAND !!!!! 😜

you sado's.......:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember the old string operated flapper with a dead bird mounted on a cradle, pain in the rear end, specially on standing crops, give me battery operated any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deny essex said:

Old sado if you don't mind :w00t:

sorry ..........old shedo...thats what we are old shedo's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, tightchoke aka Dave has been in his shed a while now, some thing good must be coming to PW soon, 

Dave`s words were "That should be quite easy to Replicate".  Perhaps not so easy as he thought :hmm:

Come on TC, where is it then ?

OB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon!!!!!!

I am currently working night shifts!

Yesterday I spent the day at the Pond with 8 other like minded individuals tidying up for the coming season.

I have started on the "Enticer" and will start a thread with that name.

Back to bed shortly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09 April 2019 at 11:57, old'un said:

I remember the old string operated flapper with a dead bird mounted on a cradle, pain in the rear end, specially on standing crops, give me battery operated any day.

 

This was just what I thought  when I watched the video .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 11:57, old'un said:

I remember the old string operated flapper with a dead bird mounted on a cradle, pain in the rear end, specially on standing crops, give me battery operated any day.

 

I still have one and use it with a reasonable degree of success and I do not need to carry a battery  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you need with that is good string whart in the hide with you. So you can concentrate on the shooting and your whart pulls the string on command. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my old flapper out for renovation, new drive belt etc.  It his seen the demise of many pigeons.  12v window winder motor does the job geared down through home made pulleys .

Yes I know the wings are facing opposite ways but the pigeons don't seem to care. I need to pull one off to fit the new belt this week.  Cost me nothing as I had a dozen decoys given me and the motor was being thrown out but still works fine.  Intermit switch and a lightweight golf trolley battery does the job all day if needed.

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just love this home made stuff.

I`m intrigued, you say it`s a flapper but it looks as though the wings rotate (a bit like what Tightchoke is going to achieve) rather than flap. 

However, if, as you say, it`s seen the demise of many pigeons, it obviously works whatever it does.

Would love to see a video of it in action, even in the vice.

Many thanks for posting,

OB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If you look back ...this thread goes back into 2017 ...you will see I commented on this flapper then but no photos. 

My comments then still stand. I have had birds drop in almost on top of this ugly scruffy piece of machinery.  I am about to give it a clean, new drive belt and a paint touch up.

I have used it with the wings facing opposite ways and the birds still came at it....... not always ...but that is pigeon shooting.  In my very limited experience I have found that wing movement of any kind appears to have an attraction.  Floaters, whirlies are all good but add wing movement and your in a different world all together.

Should have the new drive belts mid next wek so will set it up and run it..... then I have to put the video on here ....errrrrrrr????????

Very very easy to make and find a window wiper motor or such and a length of rod and your away.... cheap all made out of scrap.

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If you look back ...this thread goes back into 2017 ...you will see I commented on this flapper then but no photos. 

My comments then still stand. I have had birds drop in almost on top of this ugly scruffy piece of machinery.  I am about to give it a clean, new drive belt and a paint touch up.

I have used it with the wings facing opposite ways and the birds still came at it....... not always ...but that is pigeon shooting.  In my very limited experience I have found that wing movement of any kind appears to have an attraction.  Floaters, whirlies are all good but add wing movement and your in a different world all together.

Should have the new drive belts mid next wek so will set it up and run it..... then I have to put the video on here ....errrrrrrr????????

Very very easy to make and find a window wiper motor or such and a length of rod and your away.... cheap all made out of scrap.

hello, look forward to seeing your decoy working👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, look forward to seeing your decoy working👍

i might have a go of making one my self,  what decoy is ideal for a project like this ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2019 at 07:35, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I've finally decided to have a go at making an "Enticer" so watch this space.

I note the need for an extension, I also feel that being manually operated it will be lighter, it will also be ready to use in 2 minutes after setting up the hide and pattern. Precludes the need for a dead bird and only needs to be pulled/spun when birds are approaching your pattern.

For the small amount of effort it will be worth a try.

Off to the workshop!

hello Dave, what decoy are you using or did you make the wings and a cut out full body one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ditchman said:

Walker has carpet on his shed floor.....................:w00t:

Do I?  First time I noticed !!  Must check.

Go on down to Spec Savers Simon, without delay. What you think your seeing are the tamping marks in the concrete:lol:.

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I used a full body which had been abused somewhat, slotted the rear end and inserted the foam tail.  As can be seen the wings are also 3/8th  1cm or thereabouts foam sheet. Very light in weight so hardly any load on that motor so the battery last a full session easily with the intermittent switch attached.   I suppose you could use a lighter battery but the small golf trolley battery was doing nothing on my wife's golf trolley and it does the job.   Had to gear the motor down quite a bit to get the flap speed about right ... about 10-1 reduction.  If anyhting I feel it flaps a bit too fast but the birds don't seem to mind.   I wanted that sort of flap where a pigeon feeding just flaps a couple of times to move up to a new spot of food.   In fact the intermittent switch lets it flap maybe twice as long as is really needed.  Turned the big pulley up from some black poly board and found he little 1/2 inch pulley in my scrap bin, it just needed the hole opening up a bit to fit the motor drive.  Just a mounting plate for the motor welded to a long piece, 18 inches or so,  of 3/8th rod.  It would be nice to have a remote switch where you could turn it on as you see birds approaching or passing in the distance.   I have found another motor so plan making a crow version but this time have a position to fix a real crow in a cradle and use real wings on the shaft.

Edited by Walker570

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Do I?  First time I noticed !!  Must check.

Go on down to Spec Savers Simon, without delay. What you think your seeing are the tamping marks in the concrete:lol:.

aawwwww thank god for that..............thought you had gone ....eerrrmmmm sort of al funny like..:w00t:

boy that was a close one:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I used a full body which had been abused somewhat, slotted the rear end and inserted the foam tail.  As can be seen the wings are also 3/8th  1cm or thereabouts foam sheet. Very light in weight so hardly any load on that motor so the battery last a full session easily with the intermittent switch attached.   I suppose you could use a lighter battery but the small golf trolley battery was doing nothing on my wife's golf trolley and it does the job.   Had to gear the motor down quite a bit to get the flap speed about right ... about 10-1 reduction.  If anyhting I feel it flaps a bit too fast but the birds don't seem to mind.   I wanted that sort of flap where a pigeon feeding just flaps a couple of times to move up to a new spot of food.   In fact the intermittent switch lets it flap maybe twice as long as is really needed.  Turned the big pulley up from some black poly board and found he little 1/2 inch pulley in my scrap bin, it just needed the hole opening up a bit to fit the motor drive.  Just a mounting plate for the motor welded to a long piece, 18 inches or so,  of 3/8th rod.  It would be nice to have a remote switch where you could turn it on as you see birds approaching or passing in the distance.   I have found another motor so plan making a crow version but this time have a position to fix a real crow in a cradle and use real wings on the shaft.

hello, any info on what other motors work these flappers, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...