Beverly Clay Ground - Review

Well Beverly eventually replied to my text and told me that practice was open on Sunday, so six of us went up there.

First the positives;

The lady in reception was very friendly and helpful. When I asked about the price she said as it was our first time there she'd only charge us £6.25 per 25 birds, a very reasonable price.

We had a bite to eat before going out and the food was nice and pretty reasonably priced.

And unfortunately that's pretty much where the positives end.

We walked up and found the first stand. We were four shooters in when one of the groundstaff came and asked us to stop shooting it because the missed clays were flying onto the DTL competition layout he was using. Fair enough but why set the bloody thing up like that if you know it might interfere with a competition?

We found another two stands in the woods (had to fill two of the traps ourselves) and shot those and then started looking for others. Nothing there. We walked back towards the clubhouse and found a compak layout where we could shoot two of the birds.

Talking to one of the DTL guys we discovered there was another stand and some grouse butts at the other end of the ground. We went back to the clubhouse and had another brew. The guys then decided to head down to the butts. By that time I'd lost all interest and decided not to continue shooting. I finished my coffee and went to settle up for the 18 clays I'd shot.

Strolled down to watch the guys and they seemed to be having a good time on the butts, again though one of the traps was empty.

So overall, a terrible experience, a complete waste of my one and only day off. I drove a round trip of 2.5 hours to shoot 18 clays. Definitely not a ground I will be visiting again.

I did warn you about the sporting. Beverley is a out and out trap ground the sporting is a after thought

You did, but the guys I was with fancied giving it a try.

I nearly went from there to the Humberside ground but in the end decided my mindset wasn't right to continue shooting. Might try and arrange a day in the week to call up, I saw they do a bit of a deal on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 100 birds for £23.

I had the same experience there when I went for a shoot with my Cousin. We ended up shooting about 20 clays. Nothing was working properly on the few sporting traps they had. We jumped in the car and headed up to Humberside shooting ground, where we had a fantastic afternoon.

You did, but the guys I was with fancied giving it a try.

I nearly went from there to the Humberside ground but in the end decided my mindset wasn't right to continue shooting. Might try and arrange a day in the week to call up, I saw they do a bit of a deal on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 100 birds for £23.

Brandesburton tuesdays and thursdays are well worth a trip. I used to enjoy them very much indeed.

Sometimes they put a good sporting shoot on, I have shot a region selection shoot that was very poor in the woods and it was skeet and dtl in the woods on a lot of the stands.

Other years have been a good testing sporting shoot.

Ive only shot at Beverley on charity shoots and it's always been spot they support charity really well, so I can't really comment on the day to day stuff, but it feels relaxed and friendly at other times I've been there, there's a good shop that is linked to Malmo guns so you can rfd guns there which is useful, I have shot a brandsburton a fair bit and the ground manager Tony is a good friend so it's where I go if want to shoot clays, varied and wide choice of stands, give it go, happy to tag along if helps!

Ive only shot at Beverley on charity shoots and it's always been spot they support charity really well, so I can't really comment on the day to day stuff, but it feels relaxed and friendly at other times I've been there, there's a good shop that is linked to Malmo guns so you can rfd guns there which is useful, I have shot a brandsburton a fair bit and the ground manager Tony is a good friend so it's where I go if want to shoot clays, varied and wide choice of stands, give it go, happy to tag along if helps!

If we're going up I'll try and remember to let you know. :good:

It doesn't bode well for the sportrap European championship they are hosting in oct.

I have booked a squad for that, prob a month or more ago, three times i have phoned to enquire about pricing, still no idea, Slack, its 200 clays, they used to do 100 str so should have an idea.