New gas boiler.

JDog

My intention is to convert a small outbuilding into a self contained bedroom with an ensuite with walk in shower and all the rest of the palaver.

The building is already supplied with heating to one large radiator direct from the house boiler so that is sorted and there is water just outside and drains not too far away. The building also has it's own RCCB box. Some people who come to stay will be placed in there rather than the house either because they snore or make other noises in the night or if they have dogs.

We have mains gas. Presumably I should go for a combi boiler. The question is what size/capacity (it only has to heat the bathroom and the hot water)? Should it be vented?

Why do you need a separate boiler at all? Can't you pipe hot water from the main house?

Sadly not. the yard has been concreted over.

For occasional use electric be better

Worth a look I am sure.

If you are not going to run heating off it J, a multipoint water heater will do the job, electric versions are also available now i beleive.

I will investigate further.

For hand basins in far flung parts of the house (i.e. a long way from the hot water cylinder) I use 'instant' 7 KW electric heaters - which are a bit like an electric shower. Not expensive to buy, and very cheap to run as they only draw current when water is required (no reservoir). Flow would be unsuited to high demand such as a bath, but fine for hand washing. The 9 KW version would be a little better than the 7 KW I have. One of these and an electric shower could make a cheap and economical installation.

https://www.heatraesadia.com/products/cylinders-and-hot-water/instantaneous-electric/multipoint-instantaneous.htm

They come in at about £225 and are easily fitted, but do need a suitable heavy duty electrical circuit.

If you are not going to run heating off it J, a multipoint water heater will do the job, electric versions are also available now i beleive.

I agree to an extent but i do change a lot of these things within 2-3 years of install,what about a 130 litre acv smart tank 1x 3kw immersion and nothing to go wrong with it, 25 year guarantee

Edited by Winston72

I agree to an extent but i do change a lot of these things within 2-3 years of install,what about a 130 acv smart tank 1x 3kw immersion and nothing to go wrong with it, 25byear guarantee

Really? that's shocking. I must admit i don't work with these type of things nowadays so i'm perhaps out of touch. Used to work on plenty of the old Main medway type though changing diaphrams and pilots etc. They kept many a school or carehome canteen going.

Those were the days :)

You could go all electric using modern storage heaters for warmth and an immersion heater for hot water.

Make sure that you have an Economy 7 electric metering set-up and you can heat the storage heaters and water on cheap rate electricity at night.

Vic.

Really? that's shocking. I must admit i don't work with these type of things nowadays so i'm perhaps out of touch. Used to work on plenty of the old Main medway type though changing diaphrams and pilots etc. They kept many a school or carehome canteen going.

Those were the days :)

ah the Halcyon(f60) days (gas lads joke) how many tc's have you changed on brittany MPT's i bought the tool used it 3 times in 30 years lol

15 ltr instant water heater £99 from b & q maximum you can install without ticket,these work well and will meet your requirements.

its not going to be much of a shower