Media server

Twistedsanity

Not being the most Computer savvy person I have three smart tellys all with a connected ethernet cable that runs through some.of these devolo Internet points that use the house electric, few laptops and phones running WiFi as well. Also have a separate hard drive and was wondering what type of media server I could use to view whatever is on my hard drive on any of the afforemetioned devices? Also have an Amazon dot,tado wireless radiator and heating control running. Looking for something I can plug in and upload films to as well as view them but it's a complete minefield for someone with as little knowledge as I have, any suggestions welcomed thanks

Not sure what a gigabyte ethernet switch is? Googled the others and nas is nothing to do with national autistic society or a rapper! I can't find the specific number you are referring but this looks like the item.im.after, does it have an inbuilt hard-drive or connect to an external.one? And how does it connect to the system? Plug into the router with an ethernet cable? Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for the answer :-)

Sorry, I reeled off a load of stuff without explaining myself. The sd411 is a network attached storage device made by Synology - it contains 4 hard disks that can store media files (or music / photos). It also runs a media server that's dlna certified so it can stream media files to a client like a smart tv. This device plugs into my network switch which all the ethernet cables in the house plug into, but this could also plug directly into the ethernet ports of the router it's just that I need more ports than are available on the router.

What all this gives me is a shared storage area on my home network that I can store media files on and them play on a smart tv.

It looks like the latest model of the four bay nas is the Synology DS416SLIM, but you can get a two bay version that only holds two hard drives etc.

Worth pointing out that the Synology drives almost always don't contain a hard drive. You'll be getting a box with room for hard drives, as each customer will have different space and setup requirements which they just can't cater for.

Buy wisely on the hard disk front. You really want slow and low energy ones, which are designed for servers. These drives aren't supposed to be fast seek and blisteringly fast read/write speeds.