The combines are rolling!

motty

I was driving home from work today and I was stopped by a combine blocking the road. I got out to have a chat as I noticed it was one of the farmers I shoot for. He was then making his first pass on some barley. I didn't even realise I could shoot that field. I really must find out where all the fields are that I can shoot!

This is at least a fortnight earlier than the first barley stubble I had to shoot last year and I'm quite excited. Let the games begin!

As he told you...that you can shoot that field :whistling:

Yep, be nice to drive to your chosen spot and off load the gear, if its one of the first fields to be cut I would not be surprised if they are no all over it very quickly, bet they are sat in the trees just waiting for you. :good:

I was driving home from work today and I was stopped by a combine blocking the road. I got out to have a chat as I noticed it was one of the farmers I shoot for. He was then making his first pass on some barley. I didn't even realise I could shoot that field. I really must find out where all the fields are that I can shoot!

This is at least a fortnight earlier than the first barley stubble I had to shoot last year and I'm quite excited. Let the games begin!

Do you mean that you and Muncher might start to shoot a few now?

Expect to have some winter barley cut in Shropshire next week. I don't have much winter barley on my permissions but have one which pigeons were hitting last weekend so went out Sunday afternoon, found a nice flattened patch by a bush I could set up a hide by, and even better the farmer had cut the grass margin so I could drive to the hide. Steady shooting and picked 46.

Same here in windy wild Norfolk, yesterday passed two field of barley already cut, also the first rape field in the area which looks like they tried to cut in the rain yesterday but abandoned it after only clearing a few yards from the gate.

And all that before the viners have got going properly on the peas, yesterday on a drive around there were only 2 of our pea fields cut with at least 6 or 7 large areas still in pod , if they get going on rape, barley and peas all at the same time its going to be difficult finding birds who will have a smorgasbord of food to chose from, sounds like lots of driving and hours in the hide for small numbers in return, oh just a normal day then here in wet, windy, wild Norfolk. yipee !! :yahoo::yahoo: