Ideas please - Sabbatical

SNS

Dear All

It looks like I'm going to be offered the chance to take 6 weeks off (as a bloc), paid, on top of my leave entitlement etc to do whatever I like (essentially). But in 18 months time. Despite the obvious attraction to shooting every day during that season, in reality I want to do something as a family. Which means I need to do something that my wife and little boy (who will be 7 by the time I can do this) can also take part in.

My rough plan is to take the entire 6 week summer holiday that my little boy has from school that year and do something in this period. I can use some of my leave entitlement too but don't want my son to miss school so unlikely that is a viable option. Unless you come up with something amazing that needs 8 or 9 weeks.

So my request, please, is for ideas as to what I / we could do ? I'm fortunate to have a healthy budget so money shouldn't be too much of an issue. But as this is likely to be a one off (unless i stay for another 7 years after) then I'm keen to do something memorable......

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All

It looks like I'm going to be offered the chance to take 6 weeks off (as a bloc), paid, on top of my leave entitlement etc to do whatever I like (essentially). But in 18 months time. Despite the obvious attraction to shooting every day during that season, in reality I want to do something as a family. Which means I need to do something that my wife and little boy (who will be 7 by the time I can do this) can also take part in.

My rough plan is to take the entire 6 week summer holiday that my little boy has from school that year and do something in this period. I can use some of my leave entitlement too but don't want my son to miss school so unlikely that is a viable option. Unless you come up with something amazing that needs 8 or 9 weeks.

So my request, please, is for ideas as to what I / we could do ? I'm fortunate to have a healthy budget so money shouldn't be too much of an issue. But as this is likely to be a one off (unless i stay for another 7 years after) then I'm keen to do something memorable......

A nice long cruise :)

Funnily enough I did briefly earlier (so I don't think you sound bad or nasty !). He quite fancies being a knight and living in a castle. Or going to the moon. Both of which seem tricky today but I guess things could change in two years.

His main interests are tractors and diggers !

hire a decent top of the range camper van.....and please yourself and the family all over our septered isle......plan your next stop together over the table after supper..............

I am quite fancying a tour of Britain - but not so sure about a camper van. My little boy is quite keen on a tent for the Defender roof. But my wife absolutely isn't!

hire a decent top of the range camper van.....and please yourself and the family all over our septered isle......plan your next stop together over the table after supper..............

What Ditchman said but I'd include Europe

The last word in your post "memorable" is the most significant but look at this from 2 angles, for him, that mostly means 'fun' but for you, the real value in your memories will be the time you spent getting to know him more.

Make things

Build things

Catch things

Discover things

Camp

Cook

Climb

Explore

Teach

The things we hold dearest are not the things that our parents bought for us but what they gave us.

Regards

GG

The last word in your post "memorable" is the most significant but look at this from 2 angles, for him, that mostly means 'fun' but for you, the real value in your memories will be the time you spent getting to know him more.

Make things

Build things

Catch things

Discover things

Camp

Cook

Climb

Explore

Teach

The things we hold dearest are not the things that our parents bought for us but what they gave us.

Regards

GG

Thank you - I think you have the making of something there

Make things

Build things

Catch things

Discover things

Camp

Cook

Climb

Explore

Teach

Regards

GG

I would add, take photo's lots of them.

How about a canal holiday you can make easy or hard it's up to you ,not sure if you can still get the camping ones very basic you just pich you tent at the end of the day

I have taken him on a day trip before- he liked the locks and I guess I could get him into fishing, just not sure currently he would want to sit on the boat for hours each day to get anywhere though

Make things

Build things

Catch things

Discover things

Camp

Cook

Climb

Explore

Teach

Regards

GG

This is bang on, go on line and get Conn Iggulden's dangerous book for boys i have it its great.

You can go to digger land have a google to find your nearest we went to the one near Leeds great day out.

You can stay at Warwick castle and not sure how but have him help to wind the catapult but I mean treb er ja thingy can't spell it??

That's two of the things he wants, then a big *** camper van down and into France stopping as you want sounds great to me.

This is bang on, go on line and get Conn Iggulden's dangerous book for boys i have it its great.

You can go to digger land have a google to find your nearest we went to the one near Leeds great day out.

You can stay at Warwick castle and not sure how but have him help to wind the catapult but I mean treb er ja thingy can't spell it??

That's two of the things he wants, then a big *** camper van down and into France stopping as you want sounds great to me.

Am with you on Warwick Castle - am trying to sort that during this years summer holidays. Providing I get to be a knight too !

Digger Land is opening only a few miles from us next year I think so will be there a lot am sure.

Dangerous book for boys is a top shout - I bought that for a colleagues boy years ago so will go order one for mine now as had completely forgotten about it - thank you!

Travel!! def around Europe and possibly further afield. Your lad will learn more in that 6 weeks than he will in a full year at school!

Yep consider hiring a camper (large motor home) you can take trip round Benelux, a stop Disney so he can be a knight and go to the moon. Then on through Europe via the alps down to the med or Adriatic coast etc

I would take a slow drive down to Rome stopping off at lots of places of interest on the way. Over the mountain passes in the Alps Then back across to Northern Spain via St Trop and ferry back. r

I'd love that. As would the Mrs. Will have to Google what could be in it for a 7 year old though I guess he could be interested in Romans by then