Injury

AVB

Played cricket yesterday. Got there plenty of time for warm up and did lots of stretches. Was batting four but two quick wickets meant I was in by the second over. Saw off the decent pace attack, hit a couple of boundaries and was feeling comfortable. Then went for a quick single and half way down the wicket a sniper on the sideline shot me in the back of the thigh. Or so it felt. There was a loud "crunch" at which point I hobbled to the wicket and collapsed. Players huddled around me all mumbling the same word - "hamstring".

In all my years of playing sport have never done 'my hammy' but seems I now have. It's agony. I iced it a lot and now due to see physio later today.

I don't expect any sympathy (and am not getting any from the wife either) but what's the PW prognosis? Is it weeks or months?

A hamstring? on the day before the first test match of the season? very....convenient.

Take it insanely easy. probably talking weeks at first but whatever you do DON'T rush back! sadly, if it's a G2 or G3, I'd say this is the end of your season. if you rush it back, you risk doing it again and that is where scar tissue starts to build up and you end up with a hamstring that's never the same again.

I wish you all the very best sir. now get your feet up and get the cricket on! Root's won the toss, we're batting and it looks flat and hard.

I rehabbed a torn hamstring using the Bill Star method. It's painful, but it worked for me and others.

Unfortunately I find many people in the training and exercise world don't know what they're on about. Bill Star is not one of those people. Worth a look but might not be for you.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/testimonials/42865-bill-star-protocol-torn-hamstring.html

A hamstring? on the day before the first test match of the season? very....convenient.

Take it insanely easy. probably talking weeks at first but whatever you do DON'T rush back! sadly, if it's a G2 or G3, I'd say this is the end of your season. if you rush it back, you risk doing it again and that is where scar tissue starts to build up and you end up with a hamstring that's never the same again.

I wish you all the very best sir. now get your feet up and get the cricket on! Root's won the toss, we're batting and it looks flat and hard.

and as i pressed post, Cook nibbles at one and is out.

Physio did an ultrasound and said I have a 6cm Grade 3 tear. It has a lot of blood around it at the moment. Had some acupuncture and light massage so now strapped up with instructions to take it easy and ice for 15 minutes every hour. Interestingly he said not to take ibuprofen or any other ant-inflamatories until after Saturday. Apparently these increase blood supply to the affected area which is not what you want when you have a tear that is still bleeding.

Back to watching cricket after lunch. We are making hard going of it.

The wife just keeps on 'tutting' and 'rolling her eyes'.

Physio did an ultrasound and said I have a 6cm Grade 3 tear. It has a lot of blood around it at the moment. Had some acupuncture and light massage so now strapped up with instructions to take it easy and ice for 15 minutes every hour. Interestingly he said not to take ibuprofen or any other ant-inflamatories until after Saturday. Apparently these increase blood supply to the affected area which is not what you want when you have a tear that is still bleeding.

Jesus a grade 3. Take it easy mate just watch it doesn't stiffen up or get any scar tissue. I've torn both of mine although only minor ones and I've always had little niggles when training ever since.

Ouch !

Take it easy. Ice on the leg. And in the drinks Mrs AVB will need to keep bringing you

If you were a horse it would be ice/cold hosing, anti inflamatory pain relief and walking in hand or on the horse walker. You probably don't want to be cold hosing your leg or taking phenylbutazone, it makes you hallucinate apparently and it's not very good for your insides! But alternate heat and cold with ice and hot water bottles and keep chewing ibuprofen and don't let it seize up. When you can bear it let the Physio manipulate it so it dissipates the blood and promotes proper healing rather than scar tissue.

Played cricket yesterday. Got there plenty of time for warm up and did lots of stretches. Was batting four but two quick wickets meant I was in by the second over. Saw off the decent pace attack, hit a couple of boundaries and was feeling comfortable. Then went for a quick single and half way down the wicket a sniper on the sideline shot me in the back of the thigh. Or so it felt. There was a loud "crunch" at which point I hobbled to the wicket and collapsed. Players huddled around me all mumbling the same word - "hamstring".

In all my years of playing sport have never done 'my hammy' but seems I now have. It's agony. I iced it a lot and now due to see physio later today.

I don't expect any sympathy (and am not getting any from the wife either) but what's the PW prognosis? Is it weeks or months?

Don't think its that as it says on the NHS website "It's a common injury in athletes" :whistling:

Seen a physio a day after the injury, your supposed to hobble around for weeks, how the other half live!!

Bag of frozen peas for the cold and a microwave heat thing for the heat, just don't eat the peas, elevate the leg and look forward to weeks of limping.

Also worth looking at the magnetic type supports you can get they help speed up the recovery.

And whiskey 🥃

• 3 weeks later...

My physio has been working wonders. Had lots of massages and acupuncture and got on a bike for a few rides at the end of last week (two weeks since injury). Will be able to start light gym work and jogging next week (four weeks) and cricket nets when I get back from holiday. I might still get a few games towards the end of the season.

My physio is an ex pro football physio and he has been telling me some great tales. From players who would try to play regardless of injury to others who would be out for months with a broken fingernail. He also said how being on a play bonus contract (the more games you play the more you get paid) has a dramatic impact on players willingness to play though injury. Strange that!