Sword sticks and the law

Twistedsanity

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw some in the up and coming holts catalogue they do look interesting, and skilfully made, image a time when a gentleman could run a mugger through with it and not only not get in trouble but would commended for bravery!

I.have a couple of 150 year old English "pocket pistols" and often wonder if anyone was ever on the receiving end of them

A sword stick is made for the purpose of hurting a person therefore it is termed as an Offensive Weapon 'Per se'

It is an offence to have an offensive weapon in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

It would be up to the person to show that they had either.......

ie. if you had just bought them and were transporting them home I would argue that this would be reasonable excuse. As long as they were being transported discretely and not being waved around your head!

CLICK

Ye gods; when oh when is this nation going to regrow its balls!

They were designed for a reason and quite 'normal' people carried them for a specific reason.

Why oh why have law abiding people grown to live in fear of actually protecting themselves or thinking that to do so is abnormal?!

I despair at times, I really do.

During the Reign of Queen Victoria these were carried by gentlemen as a means of self defence, at the same time it was legal to carry a pistol for the same reason,are you advocating a return of that right too? The only place for a sword stick is in a museum or a private collection.

The walking sticks come under concealed weapons you are not allowed to keep a modern one I e Made in China or India , but allowed to keep sell or give away if they come under antique sword sticks , some blades had a makers name others diden t , some modern ones are so good you have a job to tell the difference pc plod woud not know a good modern one from an antique one I did have six made in Belgium whith my bayonet collection but Sadley all gone well a couple of nice bayonets two trench knifes one British one from the USA A Mk 2 commando knife Luftwaffe officers Model 2 dagger and a German fire department parade bayonet all chrome within a Bakelite Handel and some nice trench art

The walking sticks come under concealed weapons

^^^^ This ^^^^

I know someone who has a walking stick gun and an umberella gun.Both are live firing and use .410 cartridges. He has a section 5 certificate for them as they both are guns which look like something quite harmless so therefore prohibited.

Ye gods; when oh when is this nation going to regrow its balls!

They were designed for a reason and quite 'normal' people carried them for a specific reason.

Why oh why have law abiding people grown to live in fear of actually protecting themselves or thinking that to do so is abnormal?!

I despair at times, I really do.

Well said Scully :good:

Far as I'm aware nothing is offensive as a weapon until it's used as such. Use it as a fruit knife and carry fruit, you have a reason. You can carry a glass bottle around it's not an offensive weapon until you clout some one with it or break it first.

Our laws are being diminished all the time. Every gent should have a .410 walking shoot stick or a sword stick and a derringer. Help to deter the ruffians who would do you harm.

Far as I'm aware nothing is offensive as a weapon until it's used as such. Use it as a fruit knife and carry fruit, you have a reason. You can carry a glass bottle around it's not an offensive weapon until you clout some one with it or break it first.

Our laws are being diminished all the time. Every gent should have a .410 walking shoot stick or a sword stick and a derringer. Help to deter the ruffians who would do you harm.

That's actually a valid point, I would guess it is a concealed.weapon if its in the stick, I recall someone once told me that they were asked in London of their walking stick contained a blade

So your advocating we all arm ourselves with concealed weapons

Many people already do. I'm not advocating it but if we are forced to become victims by law rather than be allowed to defend ourselves, I can see the time when more and more people will do so.

I wonder what would be the result now if just one of those people attacked in the Borough Market had successfully fought off his attackers and thereby saved not only his own life but that of someone else with a concealed weapon?

What if ensuing enquiries found the man to have no previous record but instead turned out to be otherwise law abiding, and had just decided that for the sake of his own defence had decided to carry something with which to defend himself?

Would he now be lauded as a hero or would we now be crying out for him to be prosecuted? Any bets?

During the Reign of Queen Victoria these were carried by gentlemen as a means of self defence, at the same time it was legal to carry a pistol for the same reason,are you advocating a return of that right too? The only place for a sword stick is in a museum or a private collection.

If that's what it would take I'd be more than happy, but it doesn't have to be a gun.

Why do many assume just because someone has a desire to be able to legally carry something with which to defend themselves it automatically makes them unsuitable to do so? I own several firearms but I have no desire to hurt anyone.

None of us need to go out tooled up, its just ridiculous, you don't need to carry a weapon of any sort.

The fact is that some people may still be alive today if they'd had the choice, whereas by law none of us have.

Recent history has proved your statement above to be very wrong.

The fact is that some people may still be alive today if they'd had the choice, whereas by law none of us have.

Recent history has proved your statement above to be very wrong.

Spent many years studying and you would be astonished how many everyday items can be used as a defensive weapon if needed, it's a shame that despite the laws prohibiting law abiding folk from "going prepared" in some way to defend themselves they are impotent when it comes to preventing people with bad Intentions from carrying weapons, the law is unable to protect us from these people and we are forbidden from doing it ourselves! It's a bit of a farce when you think about it Edited by Twistedsanity

Many years ago a guy was arrested in London with a sword stick which he claimed was not an "offensive" weapon but purely "defensive".

He lost the case and took it to appeal and there was a public fund set up (I think from a national newspaper) for his legal fees (IIRC I sent a tenner).

I never did find out the result.

Spent many years studying and you would be astonished how many everyday items can be used as a defensive weapon if needed, it's a shame that despite the laws prohibiting law abiding folk from "going prepared" in some way to defend themselves they are impotent when it comes to preventing people with bad Intentions from carrying weapons, the law is unable to protect us from these people and we are forbidden from doing it ourselves! It's a bit of a farce when you think about it

I think farcical is an apt description, if it weren't so disgustingly outrageous.

Something has gone terribly wrong somewhere along the way.

Under UK law it is a criminal offence to engender a crime. Rendering people incapable of protecting themselves through legislation and then allowing those crimes to happen by not protecting them or allowing them to protect themselves could be construed as criminal offence! that could make an interesting defence if trying for jury nullification(another subject that seems to be kept well under wraps) :-)

I am struggling to understand amy justification or rather attempt t justify legalizing the carryng of weapons for defence.

I would have no problem with law abiding gun owners carrying a sword stick or indeed a firearm as I know we are all totally sane and upstanding citizens and said sword stick would only cone out in the event of a terrorist attack in the city centre when aforesaid law abiding gun owner suddenly becomes capable of shoving three feet of stiletto blade into someone. However, what about me scroat bag down the pub who has an argument with another bloke over who has the best football team, violence ensues fuelled by the local 3% abv beer and Mr scroat bag un sheathes his sword from its stick and murders the other scroat. Stick was legally carried and only for self defence...

Those of you even attempting to justify legally carried offensive weapons for personal defence are on another planet.

I am struggling to understand amy justification or rather attempt t justify legalizing the carryng of weapons for defence.

I would have no problem with law abiding gun owners carrying a sword stick or indeed a firearm as I know we are all totally sane and upstanding citizens and said sword stick would only cone out in the event of a terrorist attack in the city centre when aforesaid law abiding gun owner suddenly becomes capable of shoving three feet of stiletto blade into someone. However, what about me scroat bag down the pub who has an argument with another bloke over who has the best football team, violence ensues fuelled by the local 3% abv beer and Mr scroat bag un sheathes his sword from its stick and murders the other scroat. Stick was legally carried and only for self defence...

Those of you even attempting to justify legally carried offensive weapons for personal defence are on another planet.

I don't know whether some people just don't get it or deliberately don't want to get it.

Nor why they then resort to insults or emotive terms such as 'tooled up' or carrying 'offensive weapons' for self defence.

Can no one offer a reasoned argument why law abiding people should be denied the right to carry something in order to defend themselves? The top politicians have armed personnel as bodyguards and the police have several defensive tools at their disposal, including firearms, but law abiding joe public has absolutely nothing. How can that be right?

What gives those in authority the right to provide themselves with the means with which to protect themselves yet deny by law that right to the law abiding public? Am I on the wrong planet? Really?

Why on earth would some 'scrote' be authorised to legally carry a sword stick ( or anything for that matter) for self defence? Don't you realise some 'scrotes' are already illegally carrying?

It's high time the imbalance was addressed.

I'm.not trying to justify carrying a weapon but feel you have missed the point, the scroat you refer to in your post down the pub is the problem, he will most likely be illegally carrying an offensive weapon/tool or whatever you want to call it despite it being illegal. The police who enforce law that says it's illegal to carry whatever he has don't have the numbers or powers needed to stop said scroat from having the weapon as any Google search or newspaper/court record will prove. So that means the scroats couldn't care less about the law that is powerless to stop them all and the innocent law abiding citizens get stabbed by him because they are law abiding and forbidden carrying anything to defend themselves with. it's a simple fact not a fantasy and thousands of innocent law abiding people are on the receiving end of these scroates every year. I know it's wrong and not justification for arming yourselves but the law allows the scroates to have the upper hand by their inability to act and the innocent get hurt in any altercation as they obey the law