Held to Ransom by Photobucket

pigeon controller

I'm not sure if this has been raised before but all my posted pictures have been removed as I need to purchase a third party posting account at $399??????. Postings on other media are still visible. I will not pay to post on the WWW, so how do I post in the future if I can't it will save me lots of time as I will not have to lay the birds in precise rows??

How do we get our images back?

some of the stuff i have there are from 3 or 4 computers ago

They should still be available on photobucket for you to view.

It's a great shame they have decided to do what they have and photos already posted been deleted. I often go back to the post I added photos to, especially my shooting tales ones. They were like a shooting diary.

Poor show from photobucket

They should still be available on photobucket for you to view.

It's a great shame they have decided to do what they have and photos already posted been deleted. I often go back to the post I added photos to, especially my shooting tales ones. They were like a shooting diary.

Poor show from photobucket

"Poor show from Photobucket" - The participants in this thread seem to be totally unaware of the costs that Photobucket are incurring thanks to people using their services for free. The bandwidth/server costs that site must go through is unthinkable and they've spent years offering 3rd party hosting to the whole internet for nothing, with no means of recouping any money from advertising or paid accounts.

The figure Photobucket mentioned was in the hundreds of billions of photos they hold. We're looking at close to Exabytes (Megabyte>Gigabyte>Terabyte>Petabyte>Exabyte) worth of data which they need to pay to transfer over and over, and store, all for nothing.

If someone wants a proper Photobucket alternative, use imgur.com but don't ever leave important photos there as a means of storage.

I agree with you Billy. It must cost them a fortune to host such vast amounts of photos and appreciate that a business decision has been made. However they do have other parts to there hosting business which brings them revenue. Adverts popping up whilst you transfer images and a print shop where you can purchase hard copies of your images in various forms.

I suppose it is better that you can still view your images on there than they go out of business altogether and the site disappears forever.

I agree with you Billy. It must cost them a fortune to host such vast amounts of photos and appreciate that a business decision has been made. However they do have other parts to there hosting business which brings them revenue. Adverts popping up whilst you transfer images and a print shop where you can purchase hard copies of your images in various forms.

I suppose it is better that you can still view your images on there than they go out of business altogether and the site disappears forever.

The point that everyone is saying but not appreciating is the '3rd party' bit. If you consider that a fair portion of their hosting is used to host an image on a site elsewhere, they will show loads of adverts to you whilst you're uploading the image, but once you've got that link, the website and subsequent views generate absolutely no revenue. A photo could receive millions of views in 24 hours on a site such as Reddit, so a 2 megabyte photo viewed one million times will total 1 Terabyte of data being transferred. Someone has to pay for that!

For those not understanding how the no advertising bit works, here's a 3rd party hosted photo on imgur.com, which I've added to this thread. The image is held on Imgur.com, but I'm referencing it on this site, so Imgur is delivering the image, at their bandwidth expense to show everyone my photo.

aJnwYwR.jpg

No adverts around it, but someone is having to pay for the bandwidth and server space for this image.

Which do you use mate?

Just went on Google play and downloaded the 1st one.

Photo & picture resizer. Farluner apps is the name on it, it does have pop up adds but never caused me any problems. I choose the 600x800 then just post. MBA size will of course be the deciding factor.

I have just checked my pictures on photobucket and it is working as normal. Have you got so many pictures on there that you have reached your free storage limit? If so you'll have to resize the pictures or delete some or put your hand in your pocket or find another host. >>> It's still working.

DSCN7336_zps3p5domlo.jpg

Edited by fortune