Reloading info for .308 150 gn Hornady SST's

N150 is a little slow for 150's in the usual 20 to 24 inch factory barrel but can be safely used, and I know many who do use it for that bullet weight. It will be a little down on MV compared with N140 for that bullet at the higher charge end but comparable lower down the charge weight towards min recommended charges. That's because at upper charge rates, it may not completely burn off in the barrel (unless using something like a 30 inch target barrel).

N133 isn't really suitable as it's a little too fast burning. It would be ok for 110gr perhaps but not for 150gr.

The range of 43gr to 44.5Gr N140 with a 150gr bullet usually makes for a very accurate load. I use slow-ish loads for my deer loads and load 43.1gr N140 with the 150gr SPs and it makes for a very accurate round in my rifle.

N130/133 is better suited to .223 but can be used for 110 to 125gr .308 projectiles, although not the best choice out there.

If you move to 175 or even 168gr bullets, the N150 is probably a better bet than the N140.

Edited by Savhmr

My book lists N140 for 150gr out of a 308. Max load 45.8gr .... as always start at least 10% down on that and my experience of loading for a 308 indicates the calibre performs well at sensible speeds with that weight bullet which was the heaviest I use ... if I really need a heavier bullet then I pull my 300H&H out of the safe.

For many ,many years I loaded 45 grains of vit 140 with 150 grain .308 bullet . Never let me down . Passed this load on to other .308 shooters and they all agreed that it was a hard hitting accurate round . Try a few ,you won't be disappointed .

Harnser

For many ,many years I loaded 45 grains of vit 140 with 150 grain .308 bullet . Never let me down . Passed this load on to other .308 shooters and they all agreed that it was a hard hitting accurate round . Try a few ,you won't be disappointed .

Harnser

I still do, text book load

• 6 months later...