game with a trap gun

ips

I have a dilemma so bare with me whilst I elaborate.

Guns

Beretta auto outlander - for rough

V sarasqueta sidelock SxS - for game

Beretta 687eell game - for posh game

Beretta DT10 eell trap - for trap

That's the current guns. The auto is a keeper good for rough shooting, the sarasqueta is a keeper it fits well and I love it, the 687 remains a challenge I love the gun but never been happy with the fit.

Now we get to the point of the post I don't shoot trap these days and cant see me doing so again if I am honest but I love the DT it fits better than any gun I have ever had although a tad heavy until mounted then the balance is so good the weight disappears, I cant sell it as I love it and have my initials gold inlayed on the trigger guard.

Now the question and bearing in mind that I shot pheasant once with a standard DT10 trap and enjoyed my best day to date with it.

So

Does anyone shoot game with a trap gun ?

If so have you left it at fixed 3/4-full ?

Is it worth having the DT opened out and if so what to (I am thinking 5-8 maybe ?

Or should I get it multi even though I hate multi choke ?

Any input appreciated..

Edited by ips

I'm sure plenty of people do shoot a trap gun on game and especially if high birds.

If it fits the best and you shoot well with it then crack on.

My miruko is fixed 3/4 & 3/4 and I can't say that I blew any birds up due to a tight pattern or that the right chokes reduced my hit rate.

I would therefore say shoot it and see how you get on as once you alter the chokes out you will no doubt devalue the gun as it isn't in its original spec.

I'm sure you can find a cartridge that gives a nice pattern to reduce the tight choking anyway.

Thanks, yes I would rather leave as is, I hate the thought of butchering it. The weight "may" be an issue but I only intend to use it for formal driven I have the SxS for walked up. I don't consider it particularly tight choked however the days I will shoot will not be particularly high pheasant. Currently use 30g 6s through 1/4 - 1/2 what could I get away with to open the pattern do you think.

Just had all guns out the cabinet, the 687 has to go as its way way to flat , the DT now feels heavy after not using it for twelve months but it fits like a glove 😁

I have a dilemma so bare with me whilst I elaborate.

OK I'm stripped off, NOW what ???

Just shoot the Trap gun with some 28 gram fibre Fiochi 6's....................sorted !

OR use some TT2 28gram fibres 7.5's (English 7's). They will kill all the game you will shoot at, in our part of Lancs.

Edited by Westley

• 2 weeks later...

Providing you are aware of your choking and select your birds accordingly then crack on. Two of the best shots day in day out in my syndicate use 3/4 and full. Most of the time I use 3/4 and 1/2 with 30gr of 5 shot. Just dont shoot 20 yard birds and leave the chokes alone, use 5 shot or bigger, 30 or 32s will be ample. Crunching a 60 yarder down behind the gun next to you who has tickled it does wonders for your confidence.

If in a woodland shoot where short ranges are the order of the day take the SBS and 28gr loads.

Personally I love the fit of the 687 and think the 682 trap I tried was like a railway sleeper but each to his own, you obviously prefer it so enjoy.

A

• 4 weeks later...

Can u not get the bretta fitted adapted to u by a gunsmith or trade it in for a gun that does? or just use ur sxs for everything?

I think I would be getting rid of the berretta either way o point in keeping it in the cabinet if u don't like it

They always say be fearful of a man with only 1 gun

Indeed scotslad.

I learned my lesson a long time ago re only having one gun 😞 I seem to have now got a collection BUT in my defence there all for different purposes. Recently put a comb raiser on the 687 which made a notable difference when I had a round of clays with it the other week with my good friend Westley. I have a partridge day on 9th Sept so will see how I get on with it then before making any decision. Would like to try the trap gun at pheasant but need to find a suitable load to open the pattern a bit 👍

You could use it can use anything yet i feel if you are confident you will never take up trap shooting again why not sell it and the 687 you don’t gel with that well this is what i would do.

The SxS sidelock fits you you like it just use that, you can do anything with the side lock you are ever likely to encounter in game shooting.

Um, I cant see me shooting trap again I have had my fill of it for over thirty years but I cant bring myself to move it on as it is stunning and I love it. The sxs is also a keeper as it too is stunning in my opinion and it fits like it was made for me, I just struggle with double triggers but to be honest I would get used if I knuckled down to it. I like the 687 but haven't got the same attachment to it. The auto is a tool.

Its a dilemma 😞

I use full/extra full very often these days. I don't see why you can't use it on normal driven days. Birds that I have seen smashed up have generally been under 10 yards and not particularly sporting anyway.

I don't consider the choking to be particularly tight to be honest and I don't take things off the end of my barrell. Its a tad heavy for lugging around on my stand one walk one but cant see a problem with it on a formal driven. I might try it on a couple of partridge drives I have a day booked in Sept. What cartridges do you think would open the pattern just a bit for partridge and pheasant (its 3/4-full)

driven, just shoot the DT, use 28 gram 7s, (recommend Cheditte universal trap fibre) as said previously just pick your birds

funny enough I purchased another 687 eell to replace the ones I sold, a sporter this time,cannot seem to get on with it, going out with my semi and the 725 this week, probably to coniston to see if its me, if it isn't me, its for sale

use the Sarasqueta for the driven partridge, do not need anything more than the above cartridge for them, pattern is everything

Edited by itchy trigger

Sorry

Can't understand why anyone would want to shoot game with

A trap gun

Bored and regulated to break a clay inside a designated area with a designated cartridge load

Game shooting should be a challengeing sport

Get a game gun and enjoy it

Apologies if I appear controversial but to me the mere suggestion is akin to turning up to race at the grand national with a donkey

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Sorry

Can't understand why anyone would want to shoot game with

A trap gun

Bored and regulated to break a clay inside a designated area with a designated cartridge load

Game shooting should be a challengeing sport

Get a game gun and enjoy it

Apologies if I appear controversial but to me the mere suggestion is akin to turning up to race at the grand national with a donkey

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

I fully understand were you are coming from. Maybe thirty odd years of shooting a trap gun effects the way none trap guns feel to me. I am a traditionalist and would shoot the sxs if I could get used to double triggers 😞

Is the sporter any higher in the comb than the game version ??

no, I think its the rib, my others had the narrow game rib, this has the wider flat filed rib, cannot seem to get a consistent sight picture, no trouble with the 725 black and that has a wide rib, that is why I need to check if its me or not

Indeed scotslad.

I learned my lesson a long time ago re only having one gun I seem to have now got a collection BUT in my defence there all for different purposes. Recently put a comb raiser on the 687 which made a notable difference when I had a round of clays with it the other week with my good friend Westley. I have a partridge day on 9th Sept so will see how I get on with it then before making any decision. Would like to try the trap gun at pheasant but need to find a suitable load to open the pattern a bit

Not much of a defence there I'm afraid!

As you say they are all for different purposes, you already have a game gun that fits you and one that doesn't.

Need to spend some money and get the EELL fitting you or as said above get it in as a part ex.

I have a sporterised trap Beretta and have used it in the hide and on driven and walked up pheasant, but it is no pleasure to carry as it was never designed for such use.