In the Barley again!

aga man

The farmer called me during the week to say he was in the process of desicating {spraying off} his winter barley and there were lots of pigeons there. He asked if i could shoot a few asap.

Of course i knew there was pigeons hammering the barley but i was very concerned about having no outlet for my shot birds and was delaying having a session.. Stupid i know as pest control must be dealt with. To me however the woodpigeon is not only a great source of meat i personally feel that the humble woodie desrves more respect than to left to rot or be burnt.

After much ringing round a contact via a butcher in a nearby village was able to take 180 frozen birds this morning which would empty my freezer to make way for more birds. Although this transaction was a one off i was very pleased and cancelled my jobs for the afternoon for a decoying session.

My good old pal tan has a had a rough time of it lately and infact things at my end have not been great either. After a bit of persuation tan agreed to come out for the afternoon and shoot a few pigeons.

We arrived at field at 12.30 pm and headed straight for the spot i had in mind. The 150 yd walk was knackering in the heat and sweat was dripping from me as we arrrived at decent sized patch of laid barley.

We made a hide to share and put out a rotary with dead birds and a floater in the next laid patch. The first hour was slow and we shot only 15 birds but it meant we could have a good old natter and chew the fat.

As the afternoon progressed the birds really turned on and decoyed lovely we took it in turns and shot steadily forgetting all of our woes and building a bag as we have done so many times together over the years.

We shot fairly well killing numerous doubles and many birds just hovering over the laid patch. At times we had upto 30 dead birds laid belly up in the laid patch and pigeons tried to land amongst them. At 4.30pm we had 129 on the clicker as confirmed downed birds. We spent an hour picking up and gathered 121 of the pigeons which was a great effort.

The birds have fed here for a few weeks now and as a result are in tip top condition, real heavy, meaty birds.

The farmer gave us permission to drive tan's landrover up the tramline to collect the bag. Bonus! :good:

The freezer is nearly full again and it is back to looking for a regular outlet. In the mean time we are buying a huge second hand ice cream freezer which should keep us going for now!

Thanks for reading.

post-57269-0-92695600-1499453287_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-78260100-1499453304_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-25934300-1499453378_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

Lengthy and interesting report of a great day , the disposal of birds is a concern. I was lucky they they emptied my freezers on Monday, not sure when they will be emptied again , that's five commercial freezers.

Your report informed us of an act of friendship to share your shooting also the farmer allowing you to drive the edge all counts in my mind as Karma. The pose is nearly correct , the tash too short and the presentation rubbish???????.

Well done a good day all round.

Good on you and Tan! sounds like just the tonic you needed, and great work emptying your freezer, nice pics and your Pc pose! That's where the similarity ends though!

Thanks pal, sorry about the fat ugly bloke in the picture, i told him to **** off but he insisted on being in the photo. :)

well done lads

f.

Thanks Fudds :good:

Very good report, Aga. Hope you didn't have 'prickly sock syndrome' like I had the other week.

Top bag!

Cheers motty, i learnt long ago of the barley sock problem. i now wear wellies amongst the Barley which has created 'smelly welly syndrome', with short sport socks or no socks at all the wellies soon start to smell like cheesy old pea stubble :)

Lengthy and interesting report of a great day , the disposal of birds is a concern. I was lucky they they emptied my freezers on Monday, not sure when they will be emptied again , that's five commercial freezers.

Your report informed us of an act of friendship to share your shooting also the farmer allowing you to drive the edge all counts in my mind as Karma. The pose is nearly correct , the tash too short and the presentation rubbish? ??????.

Well done a good day all round.

PC, sir apologies for the presentation, after a hour of pcking birds i was shot. my right eye is nearly closed due to sweat running it. I am far too fat and unfit these days, i must address these issue's. :yes:

great read and a lot of thought before you decided to shoot with the outlet situation you have the same respect as I and others do for the birds, a lot don't though :good:

Cheers Daz, looking forward to your reports in the coming weeks :good:

Cracking read that, must have been uncomfortable in that heat, looks sweltering. Happy days that famer let you use the vehicle for the pick up.

atb

7diaw

Thank you, yes it really was warm. Hard to keep the farmers happy but we can try!

I was pleased to read that you took Tan out and had such a good afternoon.

Cheers J, things haven't been easy as you know. But thanks to you i am taking the good lady out tomorrow night :good:

Trousers and shirt and maybe even a beard trim :) .

Buy you a pint next outing.

Excellent report on what sounds like a brilliant days sport and well done on a very good pick up.

Hope you and Tan are back to your old selves and like one of the above members said there is nothing like a good days sport in the hide to cure the Summer time blues .

Our Winter barley is now deserted of pigeons and corvids and we should have the combines moving on and start cutting Monday , at the moment, pigeons are going on the wheat and in spite of the recent storms we only have a few small patches that are laid flat . never mind , there is still sport to be had if you go about it in the right way. as long as you don't expect big numbers.