Advice for a newb

Mr.C

I'm considering dipping my toe into the world of airgunning but know very little about it. Budget would be £1-200 and am expecting break barrel to be all that's on offer but a scope would be nice. Plinking in the back garden till I'm competent the maybe some bunnies later.

. 177 or. 22? Guns to look out for and guns to avoid.

Your opinions will be appreciated ladies and gentlemen

The best advice i can give you at that price point .is .shoot any gun you fancy the look of .its possible to get a peach or a total lemon in 2 identical guns .

So if you can get a feel for the trigger and the recoil in the shop or even better on the range .then you will hopefully find a peach.

Try a few and you will see what you like .

That said .i would look at bsa .weirauch .hatsan

And avoid smk .gammo .webley .

Ps id choose .177 every day all day and never .22 .

My opinion .

Hatsan breaker 900x. Cheap as chips and accurate aswell as I'm sure a few people on here would agree. Bsa is another but there made by gamo now I think? I recall when I bought a bsa lightning a couple of years ago it was made by gamo and is pretty much identical to my gamo whisper with the exception of the gas ram. Smk xs18-19 also, cheap and accurate.

I'd say go for a .22 as they are normally a little more forgiving through the firing cycle.

Fit and finish on the outside will indicate what the general finish inside is, I used some cheapo Chinese guns that looked awful and shot the same. Browse guntrader and the such and you may be surprised.

If you are starting then a good older gun thats smooth shooting around 10-10.5ftlbs will be more forgiving than a high strung 11.8 monster thats twangy and harsh and not nice to shoot and not accurate.

Cheap pcp would be a xs78 co2 great fun and super easy to tune up to hunting power.

I'd say go for a .22 as they are normally a little more forgiving through the firing cycle.

Fit and finish on the outside will indicate what the general finish inside is, I used some cheapo Chinese guns that looked awful and shot the same. Browse guntrader and the such and you may be surprised.

Been looking and seen a lot of new Stoeger springers. Had one offered to me by rfd. They've not been mentioned unless they come under the heading cheap Chinese. Triggers are apparently appalling but that's about it. Anyone?

If your rfd is willing .

Get him to get all the guns out that take you fancy and shoot em all iver a chrono.

This will give u an idea of the power and of the trigger and recoil /noise .

Even try 2 or 3 of the identical guns if poss .

One will be better than the others for sure .

All the advice for weirauch is sound. 2nd hand they tend to hold their value so you are in effect paying a relatively cheap rental during your learning process.

Do not worry about a telescopic sight to start with rather learn to shoot well with open sights by learning where to aim at different ranges and consistency.

Do not be tempted to buy a cheapo chinese scope and put it on a spring air rifle - chances are more than 50/50 that it will fail mechanically.

Squeeze that trigger gently.

If your rfd is willing .

Get him to get all the guns out that take you fancy and shoot em all iver a chrono.

This will give u an idea of the power and of the trigger and recoil /noise .

Even try 2 or 3 of the identical guns if poss .

One will be better than the others for sure .

He will, and it sounds like a great way to spend a day.

All the advice for weirauch is sound. 2nd hand they tend to hold their value so you are in effect paying a relatively cheap rental during your learning process.

Do not worry about a telescopic sight to start with rather learn to shoot well with open sights by learning where to aim at different ranges and consistency.

Do not be tempted to buy a cheapo chinese scope and put it on a spring air rifle - chances are more than 50/50 that it will fail mechanically.

Squeeze that trigger gently.

Thanks,

Stoegers are made in China. My son has a Stoeger,with a built in moderator,and tactical stock .

The trigger was replaced by a Woodfield (welsh willy) one , and a xs mainspring was chopped to length

and fitted with a delrin top hat and spring guide .Its now quite a nice 11ft/lb rifle. But, All in cost £210.00 .

Which is about the going rate for a secondhand HW95K , which is still a better gun in stock/standard spec :) .

Edited by Longbower

• 2 weeks later...

Remington Express is not a bad gun and cheap - shame you're not closer as I have one scoped and as new (still got the box) you could have for £50.

Just a public thank you, new in box with all the original packaging with scope and a decent slip. Posted.

Happy chap.