Seemed like a good idea. What next?

eddoakley

Not quite sure why but I have just bought a double decker bus!.

And incredibly I'm sober. Could understand if I had been drunk but, well it seemed like a good idea.

Saw it on fb and bought it. Don't know much about it but will post details later if anyone is interested.

But what do I do next?

Camper type conversion?

Use it for advertising?

Mobile cafe?

Had a quick Google and have seen some interesting ideas.

Any suggestions or better still has anyone ever done anything similar?

Edd

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can understand the purchase.

What bus is it? And how much did you give?

Your big problem will be storage and the fact that all the people you may have in your mind who can do work on it (upholsterers, mechanics, painters, welders etc) won't have workshops tall enough to take the vehicle in.

Come November and the constant rain, that's when your problems will kick in.

With the sun shining just flip it now on the bay - there will be someone more mad / drunk than you out there :lol:

Seems to be a theme here, alcohol.

Have to arrange collection of this thing this morning and have no idea what to do with it.

Have to talk nicely to someone about storage first and then decide.

The Mrs likes the idea of a cafe. Pwraps it could incorporate a bar. Not really sure how much space you get.

If nothing else I can use it for advertising as I know a company that do vinyl wraps and the like.

I quite like the idea of a motor home. I have seen a few pics of other conversions and I think I could make it pretty special.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Edd

I can understand the purchase.

What bus is it? And how much did you give?

Your big problem will be storage and the fact that all the people you may have in your mind who can do work on it (upholsterers, mechanics, painters, welders etc) won't have workshops tall enough to take the vehicle in.

Come November and the constant rain, that's when your problems will kick in.

With the sun shining just flip it now on the bay - there will be someone more mad / drunk than you out there :lol:

I have somewhere to put it, it think.

I honestly don't even know what bus it is!

I will try to dig out some details now.

I don't think I bought it particularly cheap to be honest. But its all about what can be done to it.

I own a building company and have some decent guys who can do most of the conversion work to a high standard. Also sorted for gas if I decide to go that way. Apparently it doesn't need anything mechanically but if it does I have friends that can take care of that. Have friends who are fabricators and can make pretty much anything from steel(stainless) and aluminium.

Soooo many options.

Might be a fun project and make a few quid too.

Edd

How big is it? Will you need PSV to drive it until you get it replated?

PS look out for low bridges.......

No psv needed as not carrying passengers for profit, or something like that.

Only just got the contact details for the actual owner rather than the person selling. Off stalking now so will get some more details tomorrow and get some pics up as soon as I have arranged collection.

Been talking about it all day and think it really could become a great bit of fun.

Edd

Always wanted a bus, no idea why. But I am quite pleased you bought it and not me. A great project.

Be careful it you go the camper route not many campsites will take it, including me. If you get a bit of rain it will be axle deep in no time and getting on or off your pitch will not be good.

Always wanted a bus, no idea why. But I am quite pleased you bought it and not me. A great project.

Be careful it you go the camper route not many campsites will take it, including me. If you get a bit of rain it will be axle deep in no time and getting on or off your pitch will not be good.

That is a good point in this country there are not many places that you can just park up off road.

I did a job a while back where we repo'd a fleet of buses or varying age and functionality (about 80 vehicles in total).

I was amazed how cheap old bus stock (even fully working) goes for. Broadly, anything over 15 years old is down to what someone wants to pay for it - I guess that is also wrapped into the whole emissions polava,

I was also amazed that those single decker old Dart buses (the classic round the local town oblong block looking buses) only go for £1500 to £2000 (and seemingly end up all exported to Nigeria).

Some of the more modern ones are 6 figures.

There wasn't an old fashioned double decker on the list and so I don't know what they go for, but I guess they're collectable and decent money.

11L auto weighing 12t empty you won't be going far and if you do make sure you know where you can get fuel...... I know a guy relatively locally who runs a bus company if you need any advice or ideas on MOT/Servicing/parts etc as you can't take it to your local garage for work....

Race car/bike transport camper hire. Bottom floor garage, top bed kitchen etc. You collect car bikes and people take them to the race meet. Bus stays there for the duration of the meet, you go home or have a couple of days somewhere different. They cover your hotel taxi etc plus cost of vehicle hire.

Edited by arm3000gt