High five

Mightymariner

post-25219-0-67236400-1499587461_thumb.jpg

Despite feeling every so slightly hungover yesterday I had promised myself a few hours shooting, and when my son said he was up for it (at 14 this never usually happens) I knew I had to head out. JDog had already turned me down for some other adventures so Max and I headed out to the Wolds.

After a tip from a farmer friend, we spotted pigeons (from where the photo was taken) dropping on to some flattened wheat. This was good as we could drive to the spot and get set up. I certainly wasn't up for a long walk laden with gear.

When we're off roads Max does all the driving, which allows me to recce, so as I set up I let him go off and park the truck.

The action was pretty good from the off, a fresh wind at our backs, we were set up in the shade of some trees alongside a lake with the small patch in front of us.

I shot a couple and then let Max take over. Previously he hasn't shot anything bigger than a .410 so I wasn't sure how he would get on with my Beretta. To be honest I was happy to watch him shoot and just spot birds.

We had a few misses and then, second barrel he perfectly dropped a 40 yard pigeon.

He proceeded with some more misses, mainly on close in-birds, dropping into the decoys.

Then, a 35 yard second barrel, dead in the air going away.

Then a closer, 20 yard second barrel bird clipped.

Finally, a very nice crossing bird at 25 yards which he dropped dead, a head shot.

So, five pigeons in total for Max and a happy lad. He's had little shooting experience but I think with practice he could get much better.

The photo was taken at the top of the hill before we set up, I didn't get one later on unfortunately.

Thanks.

He can come whenever he likes.....though I think he prefers driving the Land Rover more than shooting!

Defender is perfect, load area completely separate from seats, plus a dog guard means I can chuck all my gear in there and still carry five people...it is much better than my Td5 in every way....