Rimfire bore cleaning guide

popa bear

I,ve got a .17 HMR rimfire rifle and i was wondering are the bore cleaning guides a good thing or are they just another way of getting us to part with our hard earned .I'm talking about the ones you insert through where the bolt should be and into the start of the barrel to stop the cleaning fluids getting into the trigger mech :hmm::hmm:

i have found even with a bore guide (possum hollow) ,in a .17 hmr the rod wont always enter the barrel cleanly,i think its more down to the rod not being perfectly straight as it does take a bit of effort to get the rod in the first coupe of pushes until you start to get the c### moving

Ah, I always find that with smaller calibres (and sometimes larger), a softer nylon pistol brush for the calibre soaked and pushed through first tends to remove the restricting crud that makes a patch tight to push through. Just make sure to push from breech to muzzle, soak well and unscrew the brush as it leaves the crown (it'll be quite filthy), rinse and leave to dry.

Once that first pass has soaked for a bit patch through with rod and jag and you should find the going a lot easier.

If you don't have a pistol brush then rather than piercing the patch in the middle pick a corner and pierce it there, it should go through a lot easier and allow you to get your preferred cleaning product soaked through the bore. It's usually the first patch that's a PITA to push through.