Otters from Scotland

docholiday

Which Lochs were these taken by Doc? Didn't see any last year and would enjoy the opportunity to photograph them next month. We stayed on Loch Na Keal last year and same again this year, just more towards Ulva side this year.

Cheers,

Dave

No special places or lochs. they are so difficult to photograph in the wild, In 17 days I saw 8 otters managed to get photographic chances three times and only one did I have some reasonable light. Once you see the otter in the loch you have to work out which way it is travelling then try and get in front of it, try and get into a position to get the shots. Thats when the fun starts, Otters dive for 15 to 20 seconds so you have to move when they are down. That involves running across seaweed covered boulders with 15 grands worth of camera and lens, this coupled with my athletic, muscle bound fat free body !!!! Is tough. Then you have to hope that the otter catches something and brings it ashore to eat in front of you. All I can say is that when it comes together it is a most amazing experience to be 20 feet of these wonderful creatures, Oh yes then you have to remember to get your exposures and shutter speeds matched up with a changing ISO and press the shutter. ............ Can be very frustrating, I spent 17 days and 4 tanks of fuel to get about 2 mins of photographs.1f643.png1f643.png1f643.png

No special places or lochs. they are so difficult to photograph in the wild, In 17 days I saw 8 otters managed to get photographic chances three times and only one did I have some reasonable light. Once you see the otter in the loch you have to work out which way it is travelling then try and get in front of it, try and get into a position to get the shots. Thats when the fun starts, Otters dive for 15 to 20 seconds so you have to move when they are down. That involves running across seaweed covered boulders with 15 grands worth of camera and lens, this coupled with my athletic, muscle bound fat free body !!!! Is tough. Then you have to hope that the otter catches something and brings it ashore to eat in front of you. All I can say is that when it comes together it is a most amazing experience to be 20 feet of these wonderful creatures, Oh yes then you have to remember to get your exposures and shutter speeds matched up with a changing ISO and press the shutter. ............ Can be very frustrating, I spent 17 days and 4 tanks of fuel to get about 2 mins of photographs.1f643.png1f643.png1f643.png

Wow... that's a heck of a lot of work! But it certainly paid off! Those images are incredible:)

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Otter run right across the road in front of me in my truck when driving back from Galashiels towards Peebles on Friday......usually only see them lying dead on the M9 at the River Carron...thats only the third Scottish otter I've seen in all my 60 years...great looking animals..:)